Pupilfirst (https://www.pupilfirst.com/) is a Free Software Learning Management system written in Ruby on Rails. Currently they only support deploying to heroku. This page will be used to keep track of packaging pupilfirst for Debian.
Work in progress package repo: https://people.debian.org/~praveen/pupilfirst/
Work in progress source package: https://salsa.debian.org/ruby-team/pupilfirst
Add personal repo of pupilfirst maintainer following https://people.debian.org/~praveen/pupilfirst/README
$ sudo apt install ruby-rails/experimental ruby-actioncable/experimental \ ruby-actionmailbox/experimental ruby-actionmailer/experimental \ ruby-actionpack/experimental ruby-actiontext/experimental \ ruby-actionview/experimental ruby-activejob/experimental ruby-activemodel/experimental \ ruby-activerecord/experimental ruby-activestorage/experimental \ ruby-activesupport/experimental ruby-railties/experimental \ ruby-tzinfo/experimental pupilfirst
Visit http://<your fqdn> on your browser to see the default page.
Start rails console,
$ set -a && . /etc/pupilfirst/pupilfirst.env && set +a $ cd /usr/share/pupilfirst/ $ sudo -u pupilfirst -EH bundle exec rails console
If you don'tuse sudo, use su pupilfirst -s /bin/sh -c 'bundle exec rails console'
and follow upstream documentation to configure your instance https://github.com/pupilfirst/pupilfirst/blob/master/docs/developers/docs/heroku.md#set-up-a-user-to-sign-in-with
Upstream meta issue for tracking issues that need help from upstream - https://github.com/pupilfirst/pupilfirst/issues/797
- Basic package template - done
- Install rubygems dependencies (pull unpackaged gems from rubygems.org) - done
- Configure database - done (need to provide a working config/database.yml)
- Run database migrations - done
- Install node dependencies - done
- Precompile assets (includes webpacker) - done (needed to copy source tree to /var as symlinking some directories don't work)
- Start rails app - done (use local storage over amazon s3, create tmpfiles.d config for pids and sockets, need to disable https)
- Configure puma - done
- Configure systemd units - done
- Configure nginx - done (todo: switch to unix socket)
- Set admin password and add school - in progress (done manually, need upstream help to enable login via username/disable recaptcha)
- Properly generate keys and remove hard coding - not started
- Setup debconf for choosing hostname and https - in progress (hostname is handled via debconf now)