Pupilfirst (https://www.pupilfirst.com/) is a Free Software Learning Management system written in Ruby on Rails. Currently they only support deploying to heroku. This page will be used to keep track of packaging pupilfirst for Debian.
Work in progress package repo: https://people.debian.org/~praveen/pupilfirst/
Work in progress source package: https://salsa.debian.org/ruby-team/pupilfirst
Add personal repo of pupilfirst maintainer following https://people.debian.org/~praveen/pupilfirst/README
$ sudo apt install ruby-rails/experimental ruby-actioncable/experimental \ ruby-actionmailbox/experimental ruby-actionmailer/experimental \ ruby-actionpack/experimental ruby-actiontext/experimental \ ruby-actionview/experimental ruby-activejob/experimental ruby-activemodel/experimental \ ruby-activerecord/experimental ruby-activestorage/experimental \ ruby-activesupport/experimental ruby-railties/experimental \ ruby-tzinfo/experimental pupilfirst
Currently fqdn is hard coded to 'pupilfirst' in nginx (servername variable) and puma (ASSET_HOME environment variable) configurations. So map your server ip address to 'pupilfirst' hostname in /etc/hosts file on your client.
# /etc/hosts on client machine 127.0.0.1 pupilfirst
Visit http://pupilfirst on your browser to see the default page.
TODO: This hardcoding should be replaced with a debconf question
Start rails console,
$ source /usr/lib/pupilfirst/scripts/env.sh $ cd /usr/share/pupilfirst/ $ sudo -u pupilfirst -EH bundle exec rails console
and follow upstream documentation to configure your instance https://github.com/pupilfirst/pupilfirst/blob/master/docs/developers/docs/heroku.md#set-up-a-user-to-sign-in-with
- Basic package template - done
- Install rubygems dependencies (pull unpackaged gems from rubygems.org) - done
- Configure database - in progress (need to provide a working config/database.yml)
Run database migrations - done (https://github.com/pupilfirst/pupilfirst/issues/797)
- Install node dependencies - done (needed some symlink magic)
- Precompile assets (includes webpacker) - done (needed to copy source tree to /var as symlinking some directories don't work)
- Start rails app - done (use local storage over amazon s3, create tmpfiles.d config for pids and sockets, need to disable https)
- Configure puma - done (needed to set PATH explicitly for execjs to detect nodejs)
- Configure systemd units - done (needed to set PATH explicitly for execjs to detect nodejs)
- Configure nginx - done (todo: switch to unix socket and remove hard coding of fqdn)
- Properly generate keys and remove hard coding - not started
- Setup debconf for choosing hostname and https - not started