If you know of a better place in the wiki for this to go, please suggest it in the ?Comments section.
I have been working to set up a Soekris net5501 to act as a home router/server. My efforts are documented here. Note that this is not intended to cover any hardware issues; software only.
Here is a list of requirements with links to the relevant sections.
- 100% Debian, no external software unless absolutely necessary
- Stock Debian kernel
?dnsmasq server, providing
- DNS, including local DNS
- DHCP server, including static IPs
Support IPv4 and IPv6 - ?Firewall
Provide local private network bridge - ?Networking
Ethernet ports + private secured wireless (?hostap)
- Provide public network
Unsecured wireless (?hostap)
Simple and robust ?firewall
- Reasonable security for the router
- Port forwarding (single, range, or all)
With ?UPnP support
- Modify TOS packet header bits
?Traffic control to provide a better internet experience for multiple users/connections
- Use TOS packet header bits
/etc/hosts & bridging... TODO
iptables & ip6tables... TODO
6to4 versus Teredo... TODO
Public IPv4 address... TODO
Feedback is appreciated.