Users and use cases
Felicia Basicssen is mother of 2 chidren.
She's read about the privacy abuses of online service providers and wants to avoid them.
She needs to
- coordinate the household tasks with her husband and the babysitter.
- That means sharing shopping lists, lists of tasks with status, notes, appointments, ...
- store the family photos. After loosing many photos and videoclips when a previous phone got broken she now stores them online.
- store her contacts. In the old days changing a phone meant an afternoon re-introducing all contacts. Now they are stored online,
- which is very convenient, but thinking twice, she's now slightly worried about who might be aware of her contact network.
Previously she used dropbox, google calendar, and google contacts.
Now she uses
- Radicale for calendar and contact management.
- Sharing/Bepasty for lists and notes.
- Syncthing for mobile synchronization.
Later on, she discovered miniDNLA and very much likes to play her music in her smart TV knowing that nobody else knows what or when she plays.
Fabio Bridgio feels more comfortable with computers and electronic gadjets. So he goes 1 step further using FB as home rooter. This way he can Control internet exposure filtering adds and search bubbles.
- Filter Searchx
Franck Buddy is a hobbyist geek. Likes free software and is aware of privacy issues. Wants to help his friends and family to escape from big brother.
He hosts a FB and provides services to them via the internet:
- Radicale Calendar and Contacts.
- Storage and Syncthing.
For that he consumes:
- Dynamic DNS/PageKite
Franck hosts a ?YunoHost server as well for services not yet packaged in Debian (and therefore not unavailable in FreedomBox) but also runs a FreedomBox because is skeptic about Yunohost's sustainability. For many services (e.g ephimerous ones) that's not a problem, but for others (that store sensitive data) it is.
Freya Buster is a political clandestine activist.
- Tor/I2 for publishing and anonymous consumption.
- Uses OpenVPN/WireGuard for remote access to own data and services.
- Takes her freedomBox with her for secure usage of unsecure networks.
- Uses Tails wherever possible.