The purpose of this page is to demonstrate that armel meets the architecture recertification criteria for lenny.
If some of these requirements are irrelevant or implausible for the port, please add a waiver request indicating why and how this isn't a problem for the arch in bold.
The architecture is publicly available without NDAs via:
Balloonz (Balloonboard 3.0)
ADS (Bitsyx, VGX, AGX, ...)
Arcom (Viper, ...)
Nokia (n810, n800, 770)
Intel (SS4000-E )
Radisys (ENP-2611, ENP-2605, ...)
PePLink (MANGA, MANGA Mini, ...)
Glomation (GESBC-9312-sc, ...)
Technologic Systems (TS-7200, TS-7250, TS-7260, ...)
LogicPD (PXA270 Card Engine)
Thecus (Yes Box N2100 etc)
Revogear (kurobox pro)
Buffalo (linkstation live etc)
Qnap (TS-109, TS-209, TS-409, ..)
Openmoko (neo, freerunner)
oh, and about 1000 others.
The following machines are available to developers:
agricola.debian.org: A Thecus N2100 (Intel XScale-80219 at 600MHz with 512MB RAM, 160GB HD)
tunnocks.toby-churchill.com: A machine (Balloon3: 500Mhz pxa270, 512MB RAM, 250GB HD), has been installed. Now externally accessible, but IP likely to change to a permanent one and DNS changes pending. Contact email@example.com for access until it is integrated with Debian LDAP. Thanx to Cambridge University Engineering Dept for the machine, Balloonz Ltd for the 250GB HD and Toby Churchill Ltd for hosting in their server room at the end of a leased line.
The Debian port is maintained by the following developers, who actively work on architecture specific issues:
- Riku Voipio
- Joey Hess
- Aurelien Jarno
- Colin Tuckley
- Michael Casadevall
The port is being actively used at the following sites:
- Stuart Anderson, C2 Systems, on Gumstix for customer projects.
- Tim Small, SEOSS Ltd, on Buffalo Linkstation Pros, for customer projects.
Popcon indicates 346 installations of the architecture as at 16 Feb 2009.
This port will eventually replace the arm port. Please see armLennyReleaseRecertification for potential users.
The installer is being maintained by Joey Hess and is currently working effectively.
Upstream support is provided by:
- binutils: codesourcery (Paul Brook)
- glibc: codesourcery (Paul Brook)
- gcc: codesourcery (Paul Brook)
- g++: codesourcery (Paul Brook)
kernel: Russell King and others,kyllikki, buytenh
- boot loader: there are lots of these for different machines
- blob - blob.sf.net
- able - Simtec Ltd
- bootldr - handhelds.org and Balloonz
uboot - http://www.denx.de/wiki/UBoot
- redboot - Redhat Ltd
- apex - (Marc Singer)
Archive coverage and Autobuilder support
At 20 Aug 2008,
The port is 99% up to date according to the buildd stats (95% cut off)
The port has built 97.3% of the archive according to the buildd stats (90% cut off)
The port builds from unmodified Debian source.
The following machines run buildds for the port:
- oldstable (oldstable-proposed-updates, oldstable-security)
This suite does not exist for armel.
- stable (proposed-updates, stable-security)
This suite does not exist for armel.
- testing (testing-proposed-updates, testing-security)
Arcadelt and Argento (pending #487577 fix)
- armel.kos.to - connectivity via ADSL, hosted by Riku Voipio,
- armel2.kos.to - connectivity via ADSL, hosted by Riku Voipio,
- muscat.islands.arm.com - Hosted at ARM Ltd by Colin Tuckley
- allegri.debian.org - Hosted at ugent by Luk Claes
- arcadelt.debian.org - Hosted at darmstadt Andreas Barth (?)
- argento.debian.org - Hosted by Bernd Zeimetz(?)
Buildd logs checked by Riku Voipio, contact armel at buildd.debian.org for any problems/requests
The security team have noted the following problems in supporting the architecture:
- Slow Armel security buildd will slow down DSA releases on very large pacakges.
- Proposed solution is to release DSA's and update them with armel builds later
The Debian admin team have noted the following problems in supporting the architecture:
The stable release team have noted the following problems in supporting the architecture:
The release team have noted the following problems in supporting the architecture: