|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 2:||Line 2:|
|~-[[DebianWiki/EditorGuide#translation|Translation(s)]]: English - [[es/Bienvenidos|Español]] - [[fr/Welcome|Français]] - [[it/Welcome|Italiano]]-~||~-[[DebianWiki/EditorGuide#translation|Translation(s)]]: English -
[[es/Bienvenidos|Español]] - [[fr/Welcome|Français]] -
|Line 6:||Line 8:|
|This space is maintained by the [[Teams/Welcome|Welcome Team]], a group of current Debian users and developers wanting to help other aspiring or beginner Debian users.
== Starting points ==
=== First time around ===
* [[http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/project-history/ch-intro.en.html#s1.2|What is Debian?]]
* Keep up with the latest news quickly with [[http://www.debian.org/News/weekly|Debian Project News]]. [[http://bits.debian.org/|Bits from Debian]] is the official blog where news are frequently posted in English.
* Ask your questions and check the beginners guides on the [[http://ask.debian.net|Debian Q&A site]] or on [[http://forums.debian.net/|the Debian forums]]
* '''More experienced users''' may prefer going directly to one of the numerous [[http://lists.debian.org/|mailing lists]]. [[http://lists.debian.org/users.html|Debian-user-* lists]] are normally used for technical help in specific languages.
=== Try or Install Debian ===
Debian 8 ("Jessie") is the current version, released on Saturday April 25th, 2015. See [[https://www.debian.org/News/2015/20150426.html|the announcement]], [[https://bits.debian.org/2015/04/jessie-released.html|blog post]] and [[https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/installmanual|installation guide]] and [[https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/releasenotes|release notes]].
The following files are ISO images which can be used to make a bootable CD or USB key used to start your system with. More details about this, specially how to create such media in other operating systems, are available on [[http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/|the FAQ]].
* Take a look at [[https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian|https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian]] before attempting a new installation
* To '''try''' Debian (and optionally, install it), you can boot from a Live CD (GNOME desktop): [[http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/i386/iso-hybrid/debian-live-8.1.0-i386-gnome-desktop.iso|Debian 8.1]] (stable, aka Jessie)
* '''More experienced users''' may want to create a custom LiveCD with the [[http://live-build-cgi.debian.net/cgi-bin/live-build|Debian Web Live CD generator]] or download [[http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/|other versions]], types and sizes of installers (including installers for older computers, network-based, servers, etc.).
Find out more about [[http://www.debian.org/releases/|Debian releases]], including community support cycles, release/End-of-Life dates, repositories, etc.
== Joining the Debian Community ==
* Read [[http://www.debian.org/social_contract|The Debian Social Contract]]
* [[DebianWiki/EditorQuickStart#Account|Create your home page on the wiki]]
* Check [[DebianWiki/Content#writing-style|the wiki content writing style guidelines]] before contributing content
* Check [[DebianWiki/EditorGuide#Screenshots|the Screenshots section in the Editor Guide]] before contributing screenshots
== Expats, welcome ==
Eventually each distribution's section would move to a page under /Welcome, as content is augmented/improved.
=== Ubuntu ===
* See [[Ubuntu]]
* [[irc://irc.oftc.net/debian-ubuntu|#debian-ubuntu on OFTC]]
* [[irc://irc.oftc.net/ubuntu-expats|#ubuntu-expats on OFTC]]
== Developer resources ==
* [[DerivativesFrontDesk|Debian derivatives front-desk]]
* [[Utnubu]] (inactive) is Ubuntu spelled backwards. One of Ubuntu's activities is frequently redistributing packages originally from Debian to Ubuntu's users. Utnubu was about the reverse, copying packages from Ubuntu to Debian.
|This space is maintained by the [[Teams/Welcome|Welcome Team]], a group
of current Debian users and developers wanting to help other aspiring or
beginner Debian [[Welcome/Users|users]] and [[Welcome/Contributors|contributors]].