Some software projects and some Debian developers provides extra repositories that you can use besides the official ones. There are various reasons why the software availaible in these repositories is not packaged in Debian. It could be because the software is not yet in Debian (dotdeb), legal concerns (deb-multimedia), or because the software itself is closed-source (Oracle,Opera). We use the following tags to describe the repositories, to get an idea of the trust you can put in these repositories.
- DD : The repository is managed by a Debian developer or a Debian maintainer
- FLOSS: the repository contains only free/opensource software
- COM: the repository is backed by an external commercial identity.
These tags can be combined
NB: The apt-get.org package search engine, covers many inofficial repositories, but is now outdated.
Here is a list of known places :
- DD, FLOSS, semi official
Provides avr32, m68k, sh4 and sparc64 ports. There's several known ?DebianPorts/Mirrors.
- Provides (mostly multimedia) packages for stable/testing/unstable which aren't or can't be in the official distribution (licences...).
- DD, FLOSS, semi-official
- The primary purpose of this repository is to provide package versions of the KDE applications which for some reason cannot be uploaded to unstable or experimental. For Debian sid.
- Provides adapted versions of packages (like mksh, openntpd, rdate) and new packages, including backports to etch/hardy/lenny as the need arises. Unofficial, but tries to produce good quality and standards compliant packages.
- Provides the Window Manager Enlightment DR17 and its associated libraries
- Provides Trinity (fork of KDE3.5)
- Staging area and backports (Debian/Ubuntu) for Neuroscience software
- Provides backports to Debian Stable of up to dates versions of the MySql/Php LAMP stack
- Provides set of packages of the development version of GNU Emacs
- FLOSS, COM
- Provides opennms, a Network Management Solution
- Provides the Oracle Express ( free as free beer ) Database.
deb http://oss.oracle.com/debian unstable main non-free
- Provides Chrome
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
- Provides Google Earth
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb/ stable main
- Provides Google Talk plugin
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/talkplugin/deb/ stable main
- Provides mod_pagespeed for Apache
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/mod-pagespeed/deb/ stable main
Provides VirtualBox including the non-free components
- Provides the Opera web browser
- COM, FLOSS
- Provides the MongoDB database.
deb http://downloads-distro.mongodb.org/repo/debian-sysvinit dist 10gen
- OpenWRT fused with Debian
Follow on Twitter https://twitter.com/DebWrt
- Package for various distro's including Debian stable, testing, unstable, experimental
- Check for Mozilla, Google and other project repo's