404's translations handled, order doc's translations added
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 64:||Line 64:|
|* '''/misc/children-distros''' should go in '''/derivatives'''|
A list of TODO items - now in a particular order
Please note that this is not a wish list! Use the bug tracking system to report them.
Please check also the past meetings minutes for more TODO lists.
About new layout
Via Mailing list:
"Text columns should not be to wide. If they are, the eye looses orientation and the text gets more unpleasant to read. I've found the following guidelines: 60-80 characters or 10-12 words (in english texts) or 30-35em. http://www.elmastudio.de/webdesign/typo-tipps-fuer-webdesigner-fliesstexte-gestalten http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2011/02/msg00076.html
You could put the news and security advisors on the frontpage in a column on the right and thus making the main text narrower. http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2011/02/msg00076.html
again, for 60-80 characters tw column another user http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2011/02/msg00079.html
-> http://people.debian.org/~spaillard/website/dynamic_cols/dynamic_columns_debhome.html may be an answer to these reports
Proposed 13px as absolute minimum font-size http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2011/02/msg00076.html
too small font-size for the #hometoc and also for Icons text on wiki start page (on 1600x900 laptop screen) while the normal text is ok http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2011/02/msg00085.html
there are not cross link from www.d.o to wiki.d.o and back http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2011/02/msg00085.html : maybe deploy http://people.debian.org/~spaillard/website/menu-red/menu.html ?
behind the Debian logo on the left (of the header) the background's fade effect isn't the same and seems broken. It would be nicer with the same fade colours of the central headers. http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2011/02/msg00091.html
too much scrolling: less information per page and more pages or maybe better navigation tools http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2011/02/msg00202.html --> more TOCS menu automatically, similar to what taffit did for DPN ?
Minor issues via BR:
make http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/ more compact (like CD/vendors, need mirror_list.pl tweak, and sorting the user country first)
- inter-sites links under the red button ? (symoon solution does work with CSS2 browsers, not IE7.. maybe not that much a problem ?)
- which compatibility against web browsers are we looking for ? IE7 ? Default epiphany with small min font size?
- there is a scaling issue on the front page when Iceweasel is set to "Zoom Text Only", the RSS buttons push the design so that a horizontal scroll bar appears. the issue appears to be that they are set to strictly 35px wide, instead of whatever size they need to be. turning off the width doesn't appear to have any adverse affects. I wonder if the line-height should be px too
- red PLANET bit on planet.d.o/es needs to link back to the main page
- planet.d.o/cgi-bin/search.cgi is completely unstyled
- on lists.d.o the "mailing lists" red thing is not a link to the top of the lists page.
Reviving site's areas
taffit suggested to contact /users/ to check if they still use Debian
improve /intro/help section reorganizing contents on how to contribute per-profile (see 608400)
review and update doc/books entries (Tolimar volunteers for that and has already some preparations)
set a specific road map for /doc/ area:
apply kallesdesign also for Dev ref, Installation Manual, release notes, Debian FAQ (see: http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2011/02/msg00112.html)
split data and content in the /doc/ area [madamezou]
- order language in translation's locale
apply content changes proposed by osamu (see http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2011/02/msg00094.html)
check vendors listed in /distrib/pre-installed [madamezou]: the plan is
- visit sites to check if vendor still sell PCs with Debian pre-installed, if not or if in doubt
- send a mail asking if they still do, saying that if there will not be response after 10 days we will remove them.
for this, and for the next one, a draft of policy (also a guideline for the cleanup) on http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2011/03/msg00056.html
check the /CD/vendors/ list: english/CD/vendors/testvendors.pl seems a script to do this job (thanks Tolimar for this hint!); related: 596558
get rid of /misc/
/misc/merchandise should go in /events/
/misc/children-distros should go in /derivatives
Merge the /CD/ and /distrib/ part of the website, following up on 612116 or in a specific wiki page welcome
- get all apache logs to a central location and run statistics over it
website <-> wiki relation. Which data comes where?