Differences between revisions 12 and 13
Revision 12 as of 2013-08-17 07:24:43
Size: 3535
Comment:
Revision 13 as of 2013-08-17 09:29:09
Size: 4565
Comment:
Deletions are marked like this. Additions are marked like this.
Line 2: Line 2:


'''PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THIS PAGE - WE ARE WORKING ON IT with gobby on gobby.debian.org, document debconf13/bof/Ruby'''
Line 20: Line 17:
|| ''TODO'' || Identify packages with hard dependency on ruby1.8 and file bugs || || ||
|| ''TODO'' || Make sure non-leaf packages are fixed || || this is not about doing all the work alone, but tracking the progress it and poking people ||
|| ''TODO'' || Identify packages with hard dependency on ruby1.8 and file bugs || gwolf || ||
|| ''TODO'' || Make sure non-leaf packages are fixed || boutil || this is not about doing all the work alone, but tracking the progress it and poking people ||
Line 23: Line 20:
|| ''TODO'' || identify remaining Ruby 1.8-only packages probably throw them away || || || || ''TODO'' || identify remaining Ruby 1.8-only packages probably throw them away || gwolf || ||
Line 26: Line 23:
QUESTION: add lintian checks for packaging depending on ruby1.8? QUESTION: add lintian checks for packages depending on ruby1.8?
  - depends on ruby1.8 = ERROR
  - depends on specific ruby version = WARNING
  - old naming libfoo-ruby = ERROR
Line 33: Line 33:
|| ''TODO'' || file bugs against packages that fail to build with the new gem2deb+ruby2.0 || || [[http://people.debian.org/~terceiro/tmp/rebuild-ruby2.0/|build logs of a rebuild of all packages that build-depend on gem2deb]] ||
|| ''TODO'' || track the bugs against packages that FTBFS with new gem2deb+ruby2.0 || || ||
|| ''TODO'' || file bugs against packages that fail to build with the new gem2deb+ruby2.0 || DavidSuárez || [[http://people.debian.org/~terceiro/tmp/rebuild-ruby2.0/| build logs of a rebuild of all packages that build-depend on gem2deb]] - maybe will do another fresh rebuild - most of them are ruby2.0 test failing and some errors on native extensions ||
|| ''TODO'' || track the bugs against packages that FTBFS with new gem2deb+ruby2.0 || DavidSuárez || ||
Line 36: Line 36:
|| ''TODO'' || JRuby || || talk to Java people if they are interested to update their package || || ''TODO'' || JRuby || DavidSuárez || talk to Java people if they are interested to update their package ||
|| ''TODO'' || make ruby2.0 default in jessie || terceiro || ||
Line 39: Line 40:
   here, mostly threading work
   
QUESTION: maybe drop ruby1.9.1?
   freeze in ~1 year
   we don't known for how long we will have upstream support
Line 43: Line 49:
|| ''TODO'' || track remaining untransitioned packages and file bugs; adopt/hijack/salvage in the team or NMU or RM || || ||
|| ''TODO'' || update ruby-policy package (paulvt suggested converting it to pandoc) and publish || || ||
|| ''TODO'' || track remaining untransitioned packages and file bugs; adopt/hijack/salvage in the team or NMU or RM || boutil, gwolf || ||
|| ''TODO'' || update ruby-policy package (paulvt suggested converting it to pandoc) and publish || boutil || ||
Line 51: Line 57:
|| ''TODO'' || automatically build and ship developer docs || avtobiff || ||
Line 56: Line 63:
|| ''TODO'' || Organize monthly IRC meetings || || for reviewing progress and discussing things in general || || ''TODO'' || Organize monthly IRC meetings || terceiro || for reviewing progress and discussing things in general ||
Line 58: Line 65:
QUESTION: do we want/need a monthly IRC meeting? QUESTION: do we want/need a monthly IRC meeting? (YesYes!!)
Line 63: Line 70:
|| ''TODO'' || Coordinate an initiative for getting more people in the team. maybe together with the general Debian mentoring initiative || || ||
|| ''TODO'' || Coordinate PR about the state of Ruby in Debian || || ||
|| ''TODO'' || Coordinate an initiative for getting more people in the team. maybe together with the general Debian mentoring initiative || ALL? || we already get many RFS mails, maybe just more manpower for handling them ||
|| ''TODO'' || Coordinate PR about the state of Ruby in Debian || || try coverage on Ruby Weekly News ||
|| ''TODO'' || Create a "Ruby Development" task || || more useful than having a live image, and makes creating a live image easier if needed ||
Line 67: Line 75:



Misc: how to handle jquery embedded in docs?
  don't depend on jquery -> if recommends is enabled you get apache and all the rest
  SUGGESTION
  
how to packages apps who use bundler - is there documentation?
  WE SHOULD document a good way of doing this.

Ruby Release Goals for Debian Jessie

This page summarizes some ideas about possible goals for Ruby in Jessie:

Key:

  • TODO = not done

  • PENDING= (mostly?) done, but not in the archive yet

  • DONE = done and in the archive

Ruby 1.8 removal

Transition tracker: http://release.debian.org/transitions/html/ruby1.8-removal.html

Status

Item

Who

Comments

PENDING

Drop Ruby 1.8 support from gem2deb

AntonioTerceiro

done in git

TODO

Identify packages with hard dependency on ruby1.8 and file bugs

gwolf

TODO

Make sure non-leaf packages are fixed

boutil

this is not about doing all the work alone, but tracking the progress it and poking people

TODO

special case: KDE ruby packages still build for Ruby1.8 only

TODO

identify remaining Ruby 1.8-only packages probably throw them away

gwolf

TODO

Request removal of ruby1.8

QUESTION: add lintian checks for packages depending on ruby1.8?

  • - depends on ruby1.8 = ERROR - depends on specific ruby version = WARNING - old naming libfoo-ruby = ERROR

Other interpreters

Status

Item

Who

Comments

PENDING

ruby2.0

AntonioTerceiro

mostly done in git

PENDING

add gem2deb support for ruby2.0

AntonioTerceiro

done in git

TODO

file bugs against packages that fail to build with the new gem2deb+ruby2.0

?DavidSuárez

build logs of a rebuild of all packages that build-depend on gem2deb - maybe will do another fresh rebuild - most of them are ruby2.0 test failing and some errors on native extensions

TODO

track the bugs against packages that FTBFS with new gem2deb+ruby2.0

?DavidSuárez

TODO

Rubinius

AntonioTerceiro (WILL APPRECIATE HELP)

WIP in git, probably already outdated wrt upstream

TODO

JRuby

?DavidSuárez

talk to Java people if they are interested to update their package

TODO

make ruby2.0 default in jessie

terceiro

QUESTION: is anyone from the Ruby team actually interested in JRuby?

  • here, mostly threading work

QUESTION: maybe drop ruby1.9.1?

  • freeze in ~1 year we don't known for how long we will have upstream support

Finish transition to new Ruby policy

Status

Item

Who

Comments

TODO

track remaining untransitioned packages and file bugs; adopt/hijack/salvage in the team or NMU or RM

boutil, gwolf

TODO

update ruby-policy package (paulvt suggested converting it to pandoc) and publish

boutil

gem2deb improvements

TODO

fix remaining bugs, or mark the unfeasible ones as WONTFIX

it would be nice to use this as a way of getting new people in gem2deb maintainance

TODO

process ./TODO list in the git repository

ditto

TODO

integrate with autopkgtest

TODO

automatically build and ship developer docs

avtobiff

Coordination

Status

Item

Who

Comments

TODO

Organize a (periodic?) Ruby team sprint

TODO

Organize monthly IRC meetings

terceiro

for reviewing progress and discussing things in general

QUESTION: do we want/need a monthly IRC meeting? (?YesYes!!)

Outreach

Status

Item

Who

Comments

TODO

Coordinate an initiative for getting more people in the team. maybe together with the general Debian mentoring initiative

ALL?

we already get many RFS mails, maybe just more manpower for handling them

TODO

Coordinate PR about the state of Ruby in Debian

try coverage on Ruby Weekly News

TODO

Create a "Ruby Development" task

more useful than having a live image, and makes creating a live image easier if needed

QUESTION: [terceiro] crazy idea: would we want to work on a Debian Ruby Live/Install DVD to demonstrate the team's work? The idea would be to boot a system with everything you need to start developing Ruby and Rails right away, including nice editors, all the libraries and programs one would need.

Misc: how to handle jquery embedded in docs?

  • don't depend on jquery -> if recommends is enabled you get apache and all the rest SUGGESTION

how to packages apps who use bundler - is there documentation?

  • WE SHOULD document a good way of doing this.