Welcome to the Debian Social Team
*Please note:* This page is still in an early form, take anything said here with a grain of salt.
The Debian social team aims to run a few services under the social.debian.org subdomain.
Plans so far is to include:
- pleroma - a fereated microblogging platform
- peertube - a federated video sharing platform
- pixelfed - a federated image sharing platform
And potentially more to come in the future.
The Debian social team aims to:
- Maintain policy on what can be posted in terms of content on these platforms (adherence to CoC and other Debian social standards, advertisements, etc)
- Install and upkeep these services
- Moderate content and train volunteers who are willing to help moderated content
- Motivate community members to contribute their content to these platforms
Some use cases or needs that we aim to address
- Create a safe space where Debian developers and contributors can keep in touch.
Share photos from DebConf on our pixelfed instance, this is a better alternative than only posting them to Instagram or Facebook. Many photos also get posted to Telegram groups, which are very ephemeral and difficult to share from on the web.
- Share photos from meetups and sprints that are happening around the world so that other members can follow and keep up and feel included in the community
- Upload tutorial and howto videos. Many great video howtos are created but get lost in the ocean of youtube.
- Record podcasts covering Debian topics, interview members and historical figures.
- Jonathan Carter
- Rhonda D'Vine
Sign up here if you're interested in helping out, with a brief description of what you're interested in (content, moderation, maintaining services, etc).
- The next meeting is TBA!
There is a lot of work ahead before the first service can even go live, if you're enthusiastic about these services, we ask you to please be patient.
Phase 0 (Mid 2019):
- Get a machine to host services on. DSA might be able to provide us one, we could rent one, and a DD is contacting a hosting provider to check whether they could assist us.
- Agree on how we want to implement these services (containers, VMs, how to document, etc)
Phase 1 (Late 2019):
Phase 2 (Q1 2020):