La misma pagina en español.
Welcome to the Debian Perl Group!
You are considering to join the Debian Perl Group or were just added to the group on Salsa ? Then this page should help you with your decision and your first steps.
What the Debian Perl Group can offer
- Easy sponsorship -- there are always some Debian Developers around who are willing to review and upload packages.
- Friendly advice and mentoring -- working in a team means that there are others who can be asked for advice on "tricky" packaging questions and who can mentor you if you are new to packaging.
- Co-maintenance -- everyone has periods with more and with less free time for free software. In a team someone else can help out to fix a bug or prepare a new upload if you are busy right now.
- Synergy -- packaging teams are about sharing experiences and forces and developing expertise together in a special field.
- Tools -- maintaining packages in the group lets you use some of our tools, and you profit from improvements to all packages over time.
- Becoming a Debian Developer -- if you plan on becoming a DD after some time one of the DDs in the group may be willing to be your advocate after having worked together with you for some time.
- Do I have to be a Perl hacker? -- No, a basic familiarity with Perl is of course necessary but packaging is different from writing code. Naturally you shouldn't be running away screaming when you see Perl code while trying to triage a bug or write a simple patch.
- Do I need to have prior packaging experience? -- No, you just need to be willing to do some reading and learn all this stuff. It might look scary at the beginning but Perl packages are usually not that complicated and you can easily get help if needed.
Do I need to commit myself for working X hours per week for the next 42 years? -- No, although it's not appreciated if someone injects a pile of packages into our repository and then vanishes, it's fine to have periods of more and less time and interest, and personal priorities can also change to other areas in Debian (or even outside ). All contributions, also small ones, are welcome.
- Do I have to maintain all of your over two thousand packages? -- It is up to you. Helping with maintaining them all is not that hard, but it is also fine if you are only interested in a couple of packages.
What should I start to work on? -- Please note that your work is much more likely to be accepted quickly if it improves an existing Debian package. We all understand that sometimes packaging new packages is necessary (or just fun!), but please consider also spending a little effort on updating our existing packages, particularly those with release critical bugs.
How to join
Create an account on Salsa.
Write a short mail to <debian-perl AT lists DOT debian DOT org>, including your Salsa account name and a short introduction of yourself.
- That's it -- one of the admins will add you to the perl-team group as soon as possible.
Make yourself familiar with PET which is our one-stop-place for coordination. currently disfunctional
- If you're into IRC, join #debian-perl at irc.debian.org (= OFTC).