Differences between revisions 39 and 40
Revision 39 as of 2010-06-10 18:11:07
Size: 3388
Comment:
Revision 40 as of 2010-06-18 19:31:16
Size: 3561
Editor: ?GregorHerrmann
Comment: remove comments that are in the minutes; remove finished tasks; update existing and add new tasks
Deletions are marked like this. Additions are marked like this.
Line 10: Line 10:
It should have an up to date list of open tasks, please remove completed tasks; for documentation please add links to the History section below (instead of adding them in between the tasks here).
Line 11: Line 13:
 * The previous list of tasks on this page has been discussed during DebCamp in August 2008. The minutes of the meeting are available in the archive of the [[http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2008/08/msg00029.html|debian-perl mailing list]].
 * [[http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2009/07/msg00037.html|Minutes]] from the first meeting at DebCamp in July 2009.
 * [[http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2009/07/msg00104.html|Minutes]] from the second meeting at DebCamp in July 2009.
 * [[http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2008/08/msg00029.html|Minutes]] from the meeting at DebCamp in August 2008.
 * [[http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2009/07/msg00037.html|Minutes]] from the meeting at DebCamp in July 2009.
 * [[http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2009/07/msg00104.html|Minutes]] from the meeting at DebConf in July 2009.
Line 18: Line 20:
 * Investigate possible migration from Subversion to Git. → Going forward, although nobody here has really worked on a project with thousands of Git submodules
 * (build-)depending on perl or perl-modules → We should drop the >=5.6 version requirement on perl (cf. [[http://bugs.debian.org/525190|#525190]]), and just specify the version where there is a real requirement. The oldest available release (in oldstable) is 5.8.8 or so
 * Investigate possible migration from Subversion to Git.
Line 21: Line 22:
 * debhelper compat v8 (M::B instead of EUMM): after squeeze or now, and if now with "perl (>= 5.10) | libmodule-build-perl" or with dropping support for backports to oldstable
Line 28: Line 30:
  * forward all (non Debian specific) patches upstream and add the CPAN RT ids to the patch headers → This can follow DEP3 once it is accepted
  * we need a tool for easy editing of patch headers according to [[http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep3/|DEP3]]
  * forward all (non Debian specific) patches upstream and add the CPAN RT ids to the patch headers; wait for DEP3 to be finalised? write a nice bug/patch forwarding helper tool (skeleton in svn)?
  * we need a tool for easy editing of patch headers according to [[http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep3/|DEP3]]; first version of patchedit exists (jozef++)
Line 31: Line 33:
 * Policy 3.8.2: mass update packages? → Very old standards-versions might warrant (just for QA work) to be updated, as they were built with very old toolchains. We should at least check packages that have not been updated since Sarge release.
 * Change to the unified debian/repack.sh script.
 * After squeeze: remove (?) B-D on "perl-modules (>= 5.10) | libFOO-perl"
 * Upload all half-adopted packages (rationale: old maintainers don't want to get bug reports, we do) → Every adopted package should warrant an immediate upload, as it carries important informations.
 * Policy 3.8.4: mass update packages? Very old standards-versions might warrant (just for QA work) to be updated, as they were built with very old toolchains. We should at least check packages that have not been updated since Sarge release.
 * Change to the unified debian/repack.sh script. (investigate if this is already done)
 * After squeeze: remove B-D on "perl (>= 5.10) | libFOO-perl"
 * After squeeze: remove transitional dummy packages (and debian/TODO items for them)
 *
Upload all half-adopted packages (rationale: old maintainers don't want to get bug reports, we do)
 * Polic
y 3.8.5: changes re Conflicts->Breaks (package renames/splits): [[http://bugs.debian.org/578854|#578854]]
 * Summer cleanup (remove packages from svn that
were injected but never finished for upload)
Line 43: Line 48:
→ Damyan is "slowly" (quoting him) but steadily achieving this; he strongly invites us all to participate
Line 51: Line 54:
=== PET ===
(not exclusively a pkg-perl topic but still)

 * multi-repo support?
 * merge ansgar's PET2?

Debian Perl Group - Open tasks

This page collects ideas for tasks within the Teams/DebianPerlGroup. These tasks can be worked on at DebCamp or might be tackled by volunteers "at home".

It should have an up to date list of open tasks, please remove completed tasks; for documentation please add links to the History section below (instead of adding them in between the tasks here).

History

Policy/discussion

List of issues that affect our work mode and need discussion.

  • Investigate possible migration from Subversion to Git.
  • "Letter to the Perl Community" about Module::Install?
  • debhelper compat v8 (M::B instead of EUMM): after squeeze or now, and if now with "perl (>= 5.10) | libmodule-build-perl" or with dropping support for backports to oldstable

Packages/tools

List of tasks that need to be performed on all/many of our packages; or maintainance tools ...

  • Create the header/identifier for debian/rules that allows mass-updates. (diocles)
  • Rewrite packagecheck (in Perl, modular, maybe not only for pkg-perl) (jeremiah)
  • Patches:
    • forward all (non Debian specific) patches upstream and add the CPAN RT ids to the patch headers; wait for DEP3 to be finalised? write a nice bug/patch forwarding helper tool (skeleton in svn)?
    • we need a tool for easy editing of patch headers according to DEP3; first version of patchedit exists (jozef++)

  • Fix common lintian-errors repo-wide (e.g. errors from pod2man, missing patch descriptions, ...)
  • Policy 3.8.4: mass update packages? Very old standards-versions might warrant (just for QA work) to be updated, as they were built with very old toolchains. We should at least check packages that have not been updated since Sarge release.
  • Change to the unified debian/repack.sh script. (investigate if this is already done)
  • After squeeze: remove B-D on "perl (>= 5.10) | libFOO-perl"

  • After squeeze: remove transitional dummy packages (and debian/TODO items for them)
  • Upload all half-adopted packages (rationale: old maintainers don't want to get bug reports, we do)
  • Policy 3.8.5: changes re Conflicts->Breaks (package renames/splits): #578854

  • Summer cleanup (remove packages from svn that were injected but never finished for upload)

dh-make-perl

  • continue breaking it to isolated modules
  • make POD coverage pass (by completing the docs)
  • TODO

  • bugs

packagecheck

  • discuss git support and way forward
  • review the code that Jeremiah has written to see if it fits our needs
  • suggestions for more functionality, feedback, etc.

PET

(not exclusively a pkg-perl topic but still)

  • multi-repo support?
  • merge ansgar's PET2?