Differences between revisions 2 and 184 (spanning 182 versions)
Revision 2 as of 2008-01-25 13:34:38
Size: 1096
Editor: ?GregorHerrmann
Comment: add NM
Revision 184 as of 2013-08-07 08:47:58
Size: 10826
Editor: ?GregorHerrmann
Comment: add some closing parentheses
Deletions are marked like this. Additions are marked like this.
Line 2: Line 2:

##||<tablestyle="width: 100%;" style="border: 0px hidden">~-[:DebianWiki/EditorGuide#translation:Translation(s)]: none-~||<style="text-align: right;border: 0px hidden"> (!) [:/Discussion:Discussion]||
##||
Line 5: Line 4:

## If your page gets really long, uncomment this Table of Contents 
[[TableOfContents(2)]]
## If your page gets really long, uncomment this Table of Contents
<<TableOfContents(2)>>
Line 10: Line 8:
This page collects ideas for tasks within the [:Teams/DebianPerlGroup:DebianPerlGroup]. These tasks can be worked on at DebCamp or might be tackled by volunteers "at home".
Line 12: Line 9:
== Packages ==
List of tasks that need to be performed on all/many of our packages.
This page collects ideas for tasks within the [[Teams/DebianPerlGroup]]. These tasks can be worked on at DebCamp or might be tackled by volunteers "at home".
Line 15: Line 11:
 * dpkg-shlibdeps: warnings about linking to unused libs It should have an up to date list of open tasks, please remove completed tasks; for documentation please add links to the History section below (instead of adding them in between the tasks here).
Line 17: Line 13:
== Policy ==
List of
issues that affect of work mode and need discussion.
== Policy / issues for discussion (DebConf BoF) ==
Line 20: Line 15:
 * build systems ("one debian/rules fits them all"?)
 * patch systems (quilt vs. just using a RCS)
 * RCS (svn vs. git)
 * NM ("do we use it and if yes, how?")
 * [[http://www.dagolden.com/index.php/2098/the-annotated-lancaster-consensus/|The Lancaster Consensus]] and its relevance for us
 * Two years git - experiences, needs for clarifying, streamlining, improving workflows?
 * Debian Maintainers: the concept [[https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2012/09/msg00008.html|changed]], do we want to revisit our policy of non-usage?
 * ''add your items here. or above.''

== Release-critical bugs ==

 * http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?maint=pkg-perl-maintainers%40lists.alioth.debian.org;include=tags%3Awheezy;severity=serious;severity=grave;severity=critical;exclude=tags%3Awheezy-ignore

== Transitions ==

 * perl 5.16 transition: for Jessie, fix [[http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=perl-5.16-transition;users=debian-perl@lists.debian.org|bugs]]: fix bugs and forward upstream
 * perl 5.18 transition: for Jessie, fix [[http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=perl-5.18-transition;users=debian-perl@lists.debian.org|bugs]]: fix bugs and forward upstream

== Packages/tools ==

List of tasks that need to be performed on all/many of our packages; or maintenance tools ...

 * Finish uploading packages where the version in the archive doesn't have the group as the maintainer (i.e. adopted packages etc.):
   * build the list of such packages: compare the packages in Git with Sources.gz and check if any of the packages in our repo still has a version in the archive which has the old maintainer [[http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2012/07/msg00015.html]]
   * subscribe our -maintainers ML to the PTS of these packages so that we get their bug reports [done]
   * after Wheezy is released: upload these packages, eventually
 * bundle packages: just do it, and see what happens (notes: [[http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/pkg-components.html|pkg-components]], [[http://bugs.debian.org/606411|ftp-master clarification]])
 * QA: cast to pointer from integer of different size: file bugs/fix (http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2012/02/msg00029.html)
 * Switch from search.cpan.org to metacpan.org in (1) all packages, (2) dh-make-perl, (3) PET, (4) scripts
   * Change for dh-make-perl is commited to git [[http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-perl/packages/dh-make-perl.git;a=commitdiff;h=d31a81f712bebe19d526363c7075382c2563a0ff|d31a81f]].
   * Changes to packagecheck done
   * Masscommit to all (only non-CDBS) packages in git done (debian/control, debian/watch, debian/copyright)
 * Package an awesome Moo development environment, push to remove software that use the (deprecated) Mouse or Any::Moose towards moving to Moo, and remove Mouse and Any::Moose in Jessie.
 * Sort out the future of DateTime::TimeZone respectively its successors[[https://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2013/07/msg00017.html|last mail from upstream]].

=== PET ===

(not exclusively a pkg-perl topic but still)

We more or less decided to focus on PET, among our tools that need love, during the DebConf12-DebConf13 year.

 * move to Alioth [Ansgar, done]
 * set up a BTS virtual package for PET [dkg]
 * nag other users of PET so that they help, or at least report bugs / missing features [intrigeri]
 * list (and possibly implement -- in Python) features we need in PET:
   * track patches
   * others?

Resources:

 * Alioth project: https://alioth.debian.org/projects/pet/
 * pet-devel mailing-list: https://alioth.debian.org/mail/?group_id=100210
 * PET project's repo: `git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/pet/pet3.git`
 * web: http://pet.debian.net/pkg-perl/pet.cgi

=== dh-make-perl ===

 * find a co-maintainer for dh-make-perl
 * continue breaking it into isolated modules
 * improve POD coverage
 * [[http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-perl/packages/dh-make-perl.git;a=blob_plain;f=TODO|TODO]]
 * [[http://bugs.debian.org/src:dh-make-perl|bugs]]
 * combine dh-make-perl's "refresh" with cme's update functionality

=== packagecheck{,.pl} ===

 * Rewrite packagecheck (in Perl, modular, maybe not only for pkg-perl)
   * ''packagecheck provides some function of "cme check dpkg". It may be better to improve dpkg model taking into account our needs'' (dod)
 * lintian checks or a lintian vendor profile or something similar; list of things we could want to check here:
   * uploading d/changelog with unresolved TODO / WAITS-FOR / IGNORE-VERSION / etc.
   * debhelper versions for arch:any and arch:all
   * boilerplate README
   * metacpan URLs
   * watchfile regexp

=== forward-patch/-bug ===

 * [[http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-perl/scripts.git;a=blob;f=forward-patch|forward-patch]] uses email but [[https://metacpan.org/module/RT::Client::REST::Ticket|RT::Client::REST::Ticket]]'s docs sound like it should be able to handle attachments.
 * It would be nice if [[http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-perl/scripts.git;a=blob;f=forward-patch|forward-patch]]/[[http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-perl/scripts.git;a=blob;f=forward-bug|forward-bug]] could also handle updates of existing tickets (and not only creation of new ones).
 * Upstream authors are increasingly using github issues instead of CPAN RT; maybe [[http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-perl/scripts.git;a=blob;f=forward-patch|forward-patch]]/[[http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-perl/scripts.git;a=blob;f=forward-bug|forward-bug]] could optionally use it (via [[https://metacpan.org/module/FAYLAND/Net-GitHub-0.52/lib/Net/GitHub/V3/Issues.pm|Net::GitHub::V3::Issues]] maybe).

== Recurring tasks ==

 * Check [[http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/qa/wnpp.html|RFP/ITP packages]]
 * Yearly cleanup (remove packages from Git that were injected but never finished for upload)
   * retrieve the list is taken from [[http://pet.debian.net/pkg-perl/pet.cgi|PET]] ("New packages" section)
   * send the list to our mailing-list, with some deadline ([[https://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2012/07/msg00001.html|example email]])
   * wait until the deadline expires
   * delete the Git repositories using the [[http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-perl/meta.git;a=blob;f=remove-repository|remove-repository script]]
   * [Last cleanup: DebConf12, gregoa]
 * Next alioth project member ping: send a "ping" ("Do you still want to be a member?") to those who haven't done something for $time, and remove those who reply with "No" or who don't reply. In order to get a more realistic picture, and maybe also to remove unnecessary permissions. Ansgar has run such a "ping" once (only for non-DD group members, IIRC), and this is a reminder to do it again.
 * Run 'get-ubuntu-packages | sort -u | lp-mass-subscribe' (scripts located in scripts/ directory in pkg-perl git repository) to subscribe our Launchpad team, [[https://launchpad.net/~pkg-perl-maintainers|~pkg-perl-maintainers]] to all bugs concerning packages we maintain. This script must be run by a Launchpad team administrator.
   [Last run: mid-June 2013, gregoa]

=== When a new Perl hits unstable ===

 * Change some (build) dependencies ("libFOO-perl (>= x.y) | perl (>= 5.1x)"
 * Fix all the [[http://lintian.debian.org/tags/versioned-dependency-satisfied-by-perl.html|"versioned-dependency-satisfied-by-perl" Lintian warnings]].
 * Then fix all the [[http://lintian.debian.org/tags/package-superseded-by-perl.html|"package-superseded-by-perl.html" Lintian warnings]].
 * ''cme fix dpkg -from control -filter Depends'', with ''mass-commit'' in our script repo

=== When oldstable is archived ===

 * Update (build) dependencies. E.g. once Lenny is archived, there's no need for "perl (>= 5.10.1) | libFOO-perl ()" anymore, or to depend on versions of packages that are already satisfied in current stable.
 * ''cme fix dpkg -from control -filter Depends'', with ''mass-commit'' in our script repo
 * Review/remove Breaks/Replaces against package versions that are not even in oldstable. (Not (yet?) in ''cme fix''.)

== Background tasks ==

Things that would be nice to do, often repetitive. Can be done globally, or every time you work on a specific package.

 * Forward all (non Debian specific) patches upstream and add the CPAN RT ids to the patch headers [tools: forward-bug/forward-patch exists (ghedo++), patchedit exists (jozef++)]
 * Fix common [[http://lintian.debian.org/maintainer/pkg-perl-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org.html|lintian-errors]] repo-wide (e.g. errors from pod2man, missing patch descriptions, ...) - some stuff fixed, other is more easily fixed by "dh-make-perl --refresh" on the next upgrade ...

== Nice to have, some day ==

 * Write team-specific questions for NM templates ([[http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/03/msg00416.html|Enrico's mail]]).
   Random ideas: fix a Perl bug, update a Perl package to the group standards, adopt a package into the Perl group.
 * [[http://wiki.debian.org/FrontDesk/Tasks|NM tasks for teams]] -- found in an even older mail from Enrico :)

== Subpages ==

 * [[Teams/DebianPerlGroup/OpenTasks/Applications]]
 * [[Teams/DebianPerlGroup/OpenTasks/ChangelogHeaders]]
 * [[Teams/DebianPerlGroup/OpenTasks/Transitions/Perl4CoreLibs]]

== Links ==

 * [[http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Perl|Fedora Perl Packaging Policy]]
 * [[http://www.dagolden.com/index.php/2098/the-annotated-lancaster-consensus/|The Lancaster Consensus]]

== History ==

 * [[http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2012/07/msg00086.html|Minutes]] from the meeting at DebConf in July 2012.
 * [[http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2011/07/msg00122.html|Minutes]] from the meeting at DebConf in July 2011.
 * [[http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2010/08/msg00038.html|Minutes]] from the meeting at DebConf in August 2010.
 * [[http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2009/07/msg00104.html|Minutes]] from the meeting at DebConf in July 2009.
 * [[http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2009/07/msg00037.html|Minutes]] from the meeting at DebCamp in July 2009.
 * [[http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2008/08/msg00029.html|Minutes]] from the meeting at DebCamp in August 2008.
Line 27: Line 153:
##See also:  ##See also:

Debian Perl Group - Open tasks

This page collects ideas for tasks within the Teams/DebianPerlGroup. These tasks can be worked on at DebCamp or might be tackled by volunteers "at home".

It should have an up to date list of open tasks, please remove completed tasks; for documentation please add links to the History section below (instead of adding them in between the tasks here).

Policy / issues for discussion (DebConf BoF)

  • The Lancaster Consensus and its relevance for us

  • Two years git - experiences, needs for clarifying, streamlining, improving workflows?
  • Debian Maintainers: the concept changed, do we want to revisit our policy of non-usage?

  • add your items here. or above.

Release-critical bugs

Transitions

  • perl 5.16 transition: for Jessie, fix bugs: fix bugs and forward upstream

  • perl 5.18 transition: for Jessie, fix bugs: fix bugs and forward upstream

Packages/tools

List of tasks that need to be performed on all/many of our packages; or maintenance tools ...

  • Finish uploading packages where the version in the archive doesn't have the group as the maintainer (i.e. adopted packages etc.):
    • build the list of such packages: compare the packages in Git with Sources.gz and check if any of the packages in our repo still has a version in the archive which has the old maintainer http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2012/07/msg00015.html

    • subscribe our -maintainers ML to the PTS of these packages so that we get their bug reports [done]
    • after Wheezy is released: upload these packages, eventually
  • bundle packages: just do it, and see what happens (notes: pkg-components, ftp-master clarification)

  • QA: cast to pointer from integer of different size: file bugs/fix (http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2012/02/msg00029.html)

  • Switch from search.cpan.org to metacpan.org in (1) all packages, (2) dh-make-perl, (3) PET, (4) scripts
    • Change for dh-make-perl is commited to git d31a81f.

    • Changes to packagecheck done
    • Masscommit to all (only non-CDBS) packages in git done (debian/control, debian/watch, debian/copyright)
  • Package an awesome Moo development environment, push to remove software that use the (deprecated) Mouse or Any::Moose towards moving to Moo, and remove Mouse and Any::Moose in Jessie.
  • Sort out the future of DateTime::?TimeZone respectively its successorslast mail from upstream.

PET

(not exclusively a pkg-perl topic but still)

We more or less decided to focus on PET, among our tools that need love, during the DebConf12-?DebConf13 year.

  • move to Alioth [Ansgar, done]
  • set up a BTS virtual package for PET [dkg]
  • nag other users of PET so that they help, or at least report bugs / missing features [intrigeri]
  • list (and possibly implement -- in Python) features we need in PET:
    • track patches
    • others?

Resources:

dh-make-perl

  • find a co-maintainer for dh-make-perl
  • continue breaking it into isolated modules
  • improve POD coverage
  • TODO

  • bugs

  • combine dh-make-perl's "refresh" with cme's update functionality

packagecheck{,.pl}

  • Rewrite packagecheck (in Perl, modular, maybe not only for pkg-perl)
    • packagecheck provides some function of "cme check dpkg". It may be better to improve dpkg model taking into account our needs (dod)

  • lintian checks or a lintian vendor profile or something similar; list of things we could want to check here:
    • uploading d/changelog with unresolved TODO / WAITS-FOR / IGNORE-VERSION / etc.
    • debhelper versions for arch:any and arch:all
    • boilerplate README
    • metacpan URLs
    • watchfile regexp

forward-patch/-bug

Recurring tasks

  • Check RFP/ITP packages

  • Yearly cleanup (remove packages from Git that were injected but never finished for upload)
    • retrieve the list is taken from PET ("New packages" section)

    • send the list to our mailing-list, with some deadline (example email)

    • wait until the deadline expires
    • delete the Git repositories using the remove-repository script

    • [Last cleanup: DebConf12, gregoa]

  • Next alioth project member ping: send a "ping" ("Do you still want to be a member?") to those who haven't done something for $time, and remove those who reply with "No" or who don't reply. In order to get a more realistic picture, and maybe also to remove unnecessary permissions. Ansgar has run such a "ping" once (only for non-DD group members, IIRC), and this is a reminder to do it again.
  • Run 'get-ubuntu-packages | sort -u | lp-mass-subscribe' (scripts located in scripts/ directory in pkg-perl git repository) to subscribe our Launchpad team, ~pkg-perl-maintainers to all bugs concerning packages we maintain. This script must be run by a Launchpad team administrator.

    • [Last run: mid-June 2013, gregoa]

When a new Perl hits unstable

When oldstable is archived

  • Update (build) dependencies. E.g. once Lenny is archived, there's no need for "perl (>= 5.10.1) | libFOO-perl ()" anymore, or to depend on versions of packages that are already satisfied in current stable.

  • cme fix dpkg -from control -filter Depends, with mass-commit in our script repo

  • Review/remove Breaks/Replaces against package versions that are not even in oldstable. (Not (yet?) in cme fix.)

Background tasks

Things that would be nice to do, often repetitive. Can be done globally, or every time you work on a specific package.

  • Forward all (non Debian specific) patches upstream and add the CPAN RT ids to the patch headers [tools: forward-bug/forward-patch exists (ghedo++), patchedit exists (jozef++)]
  • Fix common lintian-errors repo-wide (e.g. errors from pod2man, missing patch descriptions, ...) - some stuff fixed, other is more easily fixed by "dh-make-perl --refresh" on the next upgrade ...

Nice to have, some day

  • Write team-specific questions for NM templates (Enrico's mail).

    • Random ideas: fix a Perl bug, update a Perl package to the group standards, adopt a package into the Perl group.
  • NM tasks for teams -- found in an even older mail from Enrico :)

Subpages

History