Differences between revisions 1 and 79 (spanning 78 versions)
Revision 1 as of 2008-01-25 13:32:36
Size: 1055
Editor: ?GregorHerrmann
Comment: first draft
Revision 79 as of 2011-06-02 13:10:49
Size: 5907
Editor: ?GregorHerrmann
Comment: add Handling of removed packages
Deletions are marked like this. Additions are marked like this.
Line 2: Line 2:

##||<tablestyle="width: 100%;" style="border: 0px hidden">~-[:DebianWiki/EditorGuide#translation:Translation(s)]: none-~||<style="text-align: right;border: 0px hidden"> (!) [:/Discussion:Discussion]||
##||
Line 5: Line 4:

## If your page gets really long, uncomment this Table of Contents 
[[TableOfContents(2)]]
## If your page gets really long, uncomment this Table of Contents
<<TableOfContents(2)>>
Line 10: Line 8:
This page collects ideas for tasks within the [:Teams/DebianPerlGroup:DebianPerlGroup]. These tasks can be worked on at DebCamp or might be tackled by volunteers "at home". This page collects ideas for tasks within the [[Teams/DebianPerlGroup]]. These tasks can be worked on at DebCamp or might be tackled by volunteers "at home".
Line 12: Line 10:
== Packages ==
List of tasks that need to be performed on all/many of our packages.
It should have an up to date list of open tasks, please remove completed tasks; for documentation please add links to the History section below (instead of adding them in between the tasks here).
Line 15: Line 12:
 * dpkg-shlibdeps: warnings about linking to unused libs == History ==
 * [[http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2008/08/msg00029.html|Minutes]] from the meeting at DebCamp in August 2008.
 * [[http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2009/07/msg00037.html|Minutes]] from the meeting at DebCamp in July 2009.
 * [[http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2009/07/msg00104.html|Minutes]] from the meeting at DebConf in July 2009.
 * [[http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2010/08/msg00038.html|Minutes]] from the meeting at DebConf in August 2010.
Line 17: Line 18:
== Policy ==
List of issues that affect of work mode and need discussion.
== Policy/discussion ==
List of issues that affect our work mode and need discussion.
Line 20: Line 21:
 * build systems ("one debian/rules fits them all"?)
 * patch systems (quilt vs. just using a RCS)
 * RCS (svn vs. git)
 * [[DebianPerlGroup/OpenTasks/Applications|Maintenance of applications in the Debian Perl Group]] -- included in our [[http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/policy.html#package_naming_policy|Policy]] already, might need work

== Packages/tools ==
List of tasks that need to be performed on all/many of our packages; or maintainance tools ...

 * Investigate possible migration from Subversion to Git (waits for report from investigators)
 * Create the header/identifier for debian/rules that allows mass-updates. (diocles)
 * Rewrite packagecheck (in Perl, modular, maybe not only for pkg-perl; see also below) (jeremiah)
 * Patches:
  * forward all (non Debian specific) patches upstream and add the CPAN RT ids to the patch headers; wait for DEP3 to be finalised? write a nice bug/patch forwarding helper tool; first versions of forward-bug/forward-patch exist (ghedo++)
  * we need a tool for easy editing of patch headers according to [[http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep3/|DEP3]]; first version of patchedit exists (jozef++)
 * Fix common [[http://lintian.debian.org/maintainer/pkg-perl-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org.html|lintian-errors]] repo-wide (e.g. errors from pod2man, missing patch descriptions, ...) - some stuff fixed, other is more easily fixed by "dh-make-perl --refresh" on the next upgrade ...
 * Policy 3.8.4: mass update packages? Very old standards-versions might warrant (just for QA work) to be updated, as they were built with very old toolchains. We should at least check packages that have not been updated since Sarge release.
 * After squeeze: remove B-D on "perl (>= 5.10) | libFOO-perl"
 * After squeeze: remove transitional dummy packages (and debian/TODO items for them)
 * After squeeze: remove alternative dependencies / versioned dependencies that refer to oldstable (etch)
 * Next summer cleanup (remove packages from svn that were injected but never finished for upload)
 * Next alioth project member ping
 * perl 5.12 transition: fix [[http://deb.li/uj2v|bugs]], change some build dependencies after 5.12 hits unstable (partly done)
 * Check the documentation on [[http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/|our website]].
 * Policy 3.9.1 (and base-files) has introduced /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-1. [[http://bugs.debian.org/436105|#436105]]
 * Check RFP/ITP packages
 * Finish uploading packages where the version in the archive doesn't have the group as the maintainer (i.e. adopted packages etc.)
 * bundle packages: get out of the insanity :) (notes: [[http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/pkg-components.html|pkg-components]], [[http://bugs.debian.org/606411|ftp-master clarification]])
 * Which tests do we run / which variables do we set? -> consistency over packages
 * Maybe add debian/source/local-options with unapply-patches and abort-on-upstream-changes to all packages? (packagecheck, see also below) -- might be unnecessary if dpkg changes its defaults, cf. recent (May 2011) [[http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/05/msg01130.html|discussions on debian-devel@l.d.o]]
 * Switch modules and tools to use Digest::SHA instead of Digest::SHA1 and remove libdigest-sha1-perl from the archive [[http://bugs.debian.org/594273|#594273]] [[Teams/DebianPerlGroup/OpenTasks/Transitions/DigestSHA1ToDigestSHA|Transitions/DigestSHA1ToDigestSHA]] (http://deb.li/digestsha)
 * Check for duplicate packages in svn and git.
 * Read [[http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Perl|Fedora Perl Packaging Policy]] and compare with ours.
 * Handling of removed (from unstable) packages: remove from trunk or also from branches/tags? move to attic? something else? At the moment we are a bit inconsistent. -- There's also `rm-pkg-from-repo' in our scripts directory.

=== dh-make-perl ===

 * continue breaking it to isolated modules
 * make POD coverage pass (by completing the docs)
 * [[http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/pkg-perl/trunk/dh-make-perl/TODO?view=log|TODO]]
 * [[http://bugs.debian.org/src:dh-make-perl|bugs]]
 * combine dh-make-perl's "refresh" with config-edit's update functionality

=== packagecheck{,.pl} ===

 * discuss git support and way forward
 * review the code that Jeremiah has written to see if it fits our needs
 * suggestions for more functionality, feedback, etc.

=== PET ===
(not exclusively a pkg-perl topic but still)

 * multi-repo support? --> already in PET2
 * merge ansgar's PET2? ([[http://pet.43-1.org/pkg-perl/pet.cgi|demo]], [[http://git.43-1.org/?p=debian/pet2.git;a=summary|repo]]) -- it's now in the PET project's repo: `git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/pet/pet2.git`
 * PET2: maybe setup another instance
 * PET2 on Alioth?
Line 26: Line 76:
##See also:  ##See also:

Debian Perl Group - Open tasks

This page collects ideas for tasks within the Teams/DebianPerlGroup. These tasks can be worked on at DebCamp or might be tackled by volunteers "at home".

It should have an up to date list of open tasks, please remove completed tasks; for documentation please add links to the History section below (instead of adding them in between the tasks here).

History

Policy/discussion

List of issues that affect our work mode and need discussion.

Packages/tools

List of tasks that need to be performed on all/many of our packages; or maintainance tools ...

  • Investigate possible migration from Subversion to Git (waits for report from investigators)
  • Create the header/identifier for debian/rules that allows mass-updates. (diocles)
  • Rewrite packagecheck (in Perl, modular, maybe not only for pkg-perl; see also below) (jeremiah)
  • Patches:
    • forward all (non Debian specific) patches upstream and add the CPAN RT ids to the patch headers; wait for DEP3 to be finalised? write a nice bug/patch forwarding helper tool; first versions of forward-bug/forward-patch exist (ghedo++)
    • we need a tool for easy editing of patch headers according to DEP3; first version of patchedit exists (jozef++)

  • Fix common lintian-errors repo-wide (e.g. errors from pod2man, missing patch descriptions, ...) - some stuff fixed, other is more easily fixed by "dh-make-perl --refresh" on the next upgrade ...

  • Policy 3.8.4: mass update packages? Very old standards-versions might warrant (just for QA work) to be updated, as they were built with very old toolchains. We should at least check packages that have not been updated since Sarge release.
  • After squeeze: remove B-D on "perl (>= 5.10) | libFOO-perl"

  • After squeeze: remove transitional dummy packages (and debian/TODO items for them)
  • After squeeze: remove alternative dependencies / versioned dependencies that refer to oldstable (etch)
  • Next summer cleanup (remove packages from svn that were injected but never finished for upload)
  • Next alioth project member ping
  • perl 5.12 transition: fix bugs, change some build dependencies after 5.12 hits unstable (partly done)

  • Check the documentation on our website.

  • Policy 3.9.1 (and base-files) has introduced /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-1. #436105

  • Check RFP/ITP packages
  • Finish uploading packages where the version in the archive doesn't have the group as the maintainer (i.e. adopted packages etc.)
  • bundle packages: get out of the insanity :) (notes: pkg-components, ftp-master clarification)

  • Which tests do we run / which variables do we set? -> consistency over packages

  • Maybe add debian/source/local-options with unapply-patches and abort-on-upstream-changes to all packages? (packagecheck, see also below) -- might be unnecessary if dpkg changes its defaults, cf. recent (May 2011) discussions on debian-devel@l.d.o

  • Switch modules and tools to use Digest::SHA instead of Digest::SHA1 and remove libdigest-sha1-perl from the archive #594273 Transitions/DigestSHA1ToDigestSHA (http://deb.li/digestsha)

  • Check for duplicate packages in svn and git.
  • Read Fedora Perl Packaging Policy and compare with ours.

  • Handling of removed (from unstable) packages: remove from trunk or also from branches/tags? move to attic? something else? At the moment we are a bit inconsistent. -- There's also `rm-pkg-from-repo' in our scripts directory.

dh-make-perl

  • continue breaking it to isolated modules
  • make POD coverage pass (by completing the docs)
  • TODO

  • bugs

  • combine dh-make-perl's "refresh" with config-edit's update functionality

packagecheck{,.pl}

  • discuss git support and way forward
  • review the code that Jeremiah has written to see if it fits our needs
  • suggestions for more functionality, feedback, etc.

PET

(not exclusively a pkg-perl topic but still)

  • multi-repo support? --> already in PET2

  • merge ansgar's PET2? (demo, repo) -- it's now in the PET project's repo: git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/pet/pet2.git

  • PET2: maybe setup another instance
  • PET2 on Alioth?