Differences between revisions 1 and 36 (spanning 35 versions)
Revision 1 as of 2008-01-25 13:32:36
Size: 1055
Editor: ?GregorHerrmann
Comment: first draft
Revision 36 as of 2009-07-30 15:20:12
Size: 3608
Editor: ?GregorHerrmann
Comment: link to minutes 2nd BOF debcamp 2009
Deletions are marked like this. Additions are marked like this.
Line 2: Line 2:

##||<tablestyle="width: 100%;" style="border: 0px hidden">~-[:DebianWiki/EditorGuide#translation:Translation(s)]: none-~||<style="text-align: right;border: 0px hidden"> (!) [:/Discussion:Discussion]||
##||
Line 5: Line 4:

## If your page gets really long, uncomment this Table of Contents 
[[TableOfContents(2)]]
## If your page gets really long, uncomment this Table of Contents
<<TableOfContents(2)>>
Line 10: Line 8:
This page collects ideas for tasks within the [:Teams/DebianPerlGroup:DebianPerlGroup]. These tasks can be worked on at DebCamp or might be tackled by volunteers "at home". This page collects ideas for tasks within the [[Teams/DebianPerlGroup]]. These tasks can be worked on at DebCamp or might be tackled by volunteers "at home".
Line 12: Line 10:
== Packages ==
List of tasks that need to be performed on all/many of our packages.
== History ==
 * The previous list of tasks on this page has been discussed during DebCamp in August 2008. The minutes of the meeting are available in the archive of the [[http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2008/08/msg00029.html|debian-perl mailing list]].
 * [[http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2009/07/msg00037.html|Minutes]] from the first meeting at DebCamp in July 2009.
 * [[http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2009/07/msg00104.html|Minutes]] from the second meeting at DebCamp in July 2009.
Line 15: Line 15:
 * dpkg-shlibdeps: warnings about linking to unused libs == Policy/discussion ==
List of issues that affect our work mode and need discussion.
Line 17: Line 18:
== Policy ==
List of issues that affect of work mode and need discussion.
 * Investigate possible migration from Subversion to Git. → Going forward, although nobody here has really worked on a project with thousands of Git submodules
 * (build-)depending on perl or perl-modules → We should drop the >=5.6 version requirement on perl (cf. [[http://bugs.debian.org/525190|#525190]]), and just specify the version where there is a real requirement. The oldest available release (in oldstable) is 5.8.8 or so
 * "Letter to the Perl Community" about Module::Install?
Line 20: Line 22:
 * build systems ("one debian/rules fits them all"?)
 * patch systems (quilt vs. just using a RCS)
 * RCS (svn vs. git)
== Packages/tools ==
List of tasks that need to be performed on all/many of our packages; or maintainance tools ...

 * Create the header/identifier for debian/rules that allows mass-updates.
 * Clean up the "New Packages - Work in Progress" (i.e. never uploaded) list of packages in PET. → gregoa has done it in the past, should be a periodic rite
 * Review the "Newer upstream available - Work in Progress" section in PET and file ITPs for missing packages etc. → Add a section for packages that are pending and that have not been touched for too long
 * Rename all source packages to lib*-perl. → Check with ftp-masters whether it is as easy as uploading the new packages. Seems basically trivial.
 * Rewrite packagecheck (in Perl, modular, maybe not only for pkg-perl)
 * Patches:
  * forward all (non Debian specific) patches upstream and add the CPAN RT ids to the patch headers → This can follow DEP3 once it is accepted
  * maybe we need a tool?
 * Fix common lintian-errors repo-wide (e.g. errors from pod2man, missing patch descriptions, ...)
 * Policy 3.8.2: mass update packages? → Very old standards-versions might warrant (just for QA work) to be updated, as they were built with very old toolchains. We should at least check packages that have not been updated since Sarge release.
 * Unify the various debian/repack.{sh,pl} scripts.
 * After squeeze: remove (?) B-D on "perl-modules (>= 5.10) | libFOO-perl"
 * Upload all half-adopted packages (rationale: old maintainers don't want to get bug reports, we do) → Every adopted package should warrant an immediate upload, as it carries important informations.

=== dh-make-perl ===

 * continue breaking it to isolated modules
 * make POD coverage pass (by completing the docs)
 * [[http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/pkg-perl/trunk/dh-make-perl/TODO?view=log|TODO]]
 * [[http://bugs.debian.org/src:dh-make-perl|bugs]]

→ Damyan is "slowly" (quoting him) but steadily achieving this; he strongly invites us all to participate
Line 26: Line 50:
##See also:  ##See also:

Debian Perl Group - Open tasks

This page collects ideas for tasks within the Teams/DebianPerlGroup. These tasks can be worked on at DebCamp or might be tackled by volunteers "at home".

History

Policy/discussion

List of issues that affect our work mode and need discussion.

  • Investigate possible migration from Subversion to Git. → Going forward, although nobody here has really worked on a project with thousands of Git submodules
  • (build-)depending on perl or perl-modules → We should drop the >=5.6 version requirement on perl (cf. #525190), and just specify the version where there is a real requirement. The oldest available release (in oldstable) is 5.8.8 or so

  • "Letter to the Perl Community" about Module::Install?

Packages/tools

List of tasks that need to be performed on all/many of our packages; or maintainance tools ...

  • Create the header/identifier for debian/rules that allows mass-updates.
  • Clean up the "New Packages - Work in Progress" (i.e. never uploaded) list of packages in PET. → gregoa has done it in the past, should be a periodic rite
  • Review the "Newer upstream available - Work in Progress" section in PET and file ITPs for missing packages etc. → Add a section for packages that are pending and that have not been touched for too long
  • Rename all source packages to lib*-perl. → Check with ftp-masters whether it is as easy as uploading the new packages. Seems basically trivial.
  • Rewrite packagecheck (in Perl, modular, maybe not only for pkg-perl)
  • Patches:
    • forward all (non Debian specific) patches upstream and add the CPAN RT ids to the patch headers → This can follow DEP3 once it is accepted
    • maybe we need a tool?
  • Fix common lintian-errors repo-wide (e.g. errors from pod2man, missing patch descriptions, ...)
  • Policy 3.8.2: mass update packages? → Very old standards-versions might warrant (just for QA work) to be updated, as they were built with very old toolchains. We should at least check packages that have not been updated since Sarge release.
  • Unify the various debian/repack.{sh,pl} scripts.
  • After squeeze: remove (?) B-D on "perl-modules (>= 5.10) | libFOO-perl"

  • Upload all half-adopted packages (rationale: old maintainers don't want to get bug reports, we do) → Every adopted package should warrant an immediate upload, as it carries important informations.

dh-make-perl

  • continue breaking it to isolated modules
  • make POD coverage pass (by completing the docs)
  • TODO

  • bugs

→ Damyan is "slowly" (quoting him) but steadily achieving this; he strongly invites us all to participate