Reproducible builds are a set of software development practices that create an independently-verifiable path from source to binary code. See https://reproducible-builds.org/docs/definition/ for a full definition.
This project is about both Reproducible Builds in Debian as well as about Reproducible Builds in general and you have several choices about the area(s) you get to work to improve on. See below.
Confirmed Mentor: Vagrant Cascadian (outreachy), Holger (GSoC)
Deliverables of the project: either:
- improve diffoscope (to find out how/what is part of the deliverables)
- fix key packages (upstream and/or in Debian)
- overhaul tests.r-b.o website, both structural and layout wise
- integrate OpenSUSE/Fdroid results in tests.r-b.o
- work on rebuilders (with in-toto/NYU's work)
Desirable skills: communication via email and irc, git, python, maybe shell.
What the intern will learn:
- how to interact with the Debian community
- how to interact with other free software communities (both upstream as well as other distros)
- contributing to a project which is seen as interesting, challenging and important by many
Application tasks: provide a patch for fixing some unreproducibly and file a proper bug about it (requires to find out what that means and how to do it.) - or do a meaningful contribution to tests.r.b.o (same)