Description of the project: Own-Mailbox is a personal email server you can run in your own home, with strong privacy protection measures integrated at its core. It providesself-hosted email addresses, and allows you to protect the content of your emails, and the meta-data, from mass surveillance. Own-Mailbox is based on technologies such as debian Gnu/linux, mailpile, postfix, gpg, tor.
Some of the improvements that can be done:
- Add an Administration panel to Own-Mailbox IHM
- Add support for GPG key server (publishing GPG key, and searching GPG keys)
- Add support for HSTS
- Study and implement new SMTP outging proxy method: port proxying
- Give information in Mailpile about which contact can be reached through tor or not.
- Multiple Email accounts on one Own-Mailbox
Students will select only one or two of these tasks, depending also on their skills and discussing them with the mentors.
Confirmed Mentor: Pierre Parent
How to contact the mentor: email@example.com
Confirmed co-mentors: Dashamir Hoxha (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Deliverables of the project: Code in Git-Hub that implements the selected tasks
Desirable skills: Gnu/Linux system administration, Docker, Bash, Python, PHP
What the intern will learn: Depends on what he already knows. Work on an existing project, read understand, and modify existing code. Make user-friendly interfaces. Cryptographic knowledge.