Description of the project: Adapt sch-scripts into a new project "ltsp-manager", primarily through internationalization and localization as well as documentation.
Sch-scripts is a graphical tool that assists with management of a classroom computer lab, managing users and network booted computers with LTSP, and is used in more than 1000 schools in Greece along with the epoptes user monitoring software.
Traditionally, maintaining an LTSP environment requires comfort with a commandline interface, but sch-scripts provides a graphical tool that simplifies the installation, configuration and management of an LTSP classroom.
Epoptes allows the teacher to monitor or assist users in the computer lab, as well as send messages, boot and shut down computers.
Both LTSP and Epoptes are present in Debian, and internationalizing sch-scripts is an important step towards making the same interface used successfully in Greek schools available to all Debian and Ubuntu users.
Confirmed Mentor: Vagrant Cascadian
How to contact the mentor: firstname.lastname@example.org, vagrantc on IRC
Confirmed co-mentors: Alkis Georgopoulos (email@example.com, alkisg on IRC)
Deliverables of the project:
- An English version of ltsp-manager, translated into Greek.
- Wiki documentation of ltsp-manager.
- Fluent in English and Greek languages.
- Able to translate from Greek to English and back again.
- Familiar with sch-scripts and the software it interacts with (epoptes, ltsp), and the way they're used in schools.
- Able to use a wiki for documentation.
What the intern will learn:
- Internationalization and localization processes in free software projects.
- Coordinating translations and peer review processes.
Application tasks: Update the translatable strings in a .ui file to English from https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ts.sch.gr/sch-scripts/trunk/files/head:/share/sch-scripts/ Submit a screenshot of the output produced by "glade".