Debsources on mobile
Description of the project: Debsources provides Web access to all of Debian source code. Debsources allows to browse, search, and render Debian source code, as well as compute code metrics and statistics that encompass all available source packages. This GSoC project aims at developing a mobile version of Debsources.
We can accept two students in this project, provided that we define two precise sets of goals that don't overlap.
Confirmed Mentor: MatthieuCaneill
How to contact the mentor: we can be reached through firstname.lastname@example.org, or on irc: #debian-debsources
Confirmed co-mentors: OrestisIoannou
Deliverables of the project:
- A Debsources design that renders well on mobile, including the source code of any file served by Debsources.
- A test suite for that design, integrated to Debsources' test suite.
- According to where the project leads, either a mobile application (that compiles to Android, iOS, and more) or an hybrid SPA that makes Debsources faster or brings new features.
You shall include as part of your application a Debsources patch that fixes one of the currently outstanding bugs (you might want to start with newcomer bugs); see the HACKING file for info on how to get started with Debsources development
What the intern will learn:
- To begin from almost zero and deliver a mobile app/website, that works everywhere and is adapted to display the source code of all Debian packages in all programming languages.
- Deal with complex client-side libraries (jQuery, Angular, Bootstrap, and possibly others).
- Integrate code to an already existing Debian project, while not breaking anything (Debsources serves thousands of pages daily).
During the application period, we expect prospective students to get familiar with the Debsources codebase, and show their interest by sending patches, and discussing with us via IRC/email.