Name: Rohit Shenoy
IRC nick: rshenoy
Background: I am a 22 year old Computer Science student from Pune, India (GMT +5:30). I have been involved in computer programming since the past 4 years. I have a good experience in C programming and shell scripting. I have worked on kernel-mode and user-mode device driver code bases. I also have good experience of working in the Linux environment and am familiar with its file system. I also have used the chroot environment and also played around with rc scripts in Linux. I even have worked on virtualization platforms like xen and xapi.
- This project caught my attention since it contains an overlap between Linux and Android development. I have been part of a project where we developed a VoIP Android application for a healthcare firm using the open source FreeSWITCH telephony kit at the back end. I believe my experience in Android application development would help me in this project.
Project title: Integrate Debian with Android
Synopsis: Lil' Debi provides an easy Debian installer on your Android device. It provides a transparent and tightly integrated Debian chroot within the Android environment. The key part of this project is to add a menu of Installation Profiles from which a user can choose, and Debian would be set up accordingly.
Project details: The project involves adding some features and solving certain issues in Lil' Debi. The main part of this project is to add Installation Profiles support to Lil' Debi. This would involve adding the user-Interface for the Installation Profiles menu on the Lil' Debi application. Then, I would be writing scripts which would be invoked on selection of a particular Installation Profile, and would configure the Debian within the chroot accordingly. Apart from this primary task, I would love to contribute to resolving other issues in Lil' Debi as part of this project.
Benefits to Debian: Debian is already the most popular Linux distribution for personal computers. However, having an easy Debian install on Android devices would give a great impetus to Debian's popularity and many new users would get a chance to explore Debian.
- A menu containing the various Installation profiles would be added to the install screen. On choosing one of these profiles, Lil' Debi would make that particular setup.
- Other features which can be added to Lil' Debi would be decided after discussion with my mentor. One such feature would be to implement the sticky service to properly handle device shutdown on all devices.
- Mar 16 - Mar 27 : Application period
- Mar 28 - Apr 27 : Applications evaluation period
- Get a hands-on experience with Lil' Debi by trying it out on various Android devices.
- Try to reproduce the present known issues mentioned on the issues list and report any new issues or improvements suggestion on the github page of Lil' Debi. This would help me get a better understanding of the Lil' Debi project.
- Communicate with my mentor and perform any tasks as mentioned.
- Apr 28 - May 25 : Community bonding
- Get familiar with the code base of Lil' Debi.
- Decide on the various Installation Profiles which need to be added.
- Find out how they are implemented in Tasksel, Debain pure Blends or any such similar projects.
- Would be on vacation during the first week of May.
- May 26 - June 25
- Begin writing code to add support for a single Installation Profile, and test it out properly..
- Have a certain set of profiles added and tested on as many Android devices as possible.
- Document the work done till date.
- June 26 - July 3
- Mid term evaluation
- July 4 - August 17
- Further test and stabilize the work done to add Installation Profiles, and submit the changes to Lil' Debi.
- Start implementing the further part of the project, like sticky services for device shutdown.
- Document all the work done.
- Aug 18 - Aug 21
- Complete all project related documentations and code scrubbing.
- Aug 28 - Aug 31
- Submit required code samples to Google.
Exams and other commitments: None
Other summer plans: None
Why Debian?: I am a Debian user and have always enjoyed its rich community support, among other things. This would be a wonderful opportunity for me to closely work with this awesome community.
Are you applying for other projects in SoC?: No. Am focusing on only this one project.