Name: Komal Sukhani
Project title: Improve one of the Debian MIPS port
- I am resident of Kolhapur, India and currently pursuing my bachelor’s degree in Computer Science.
I have experience in C, C++, C# and Java. I have worked on embedded projects like ‘Home Automation using Raspberry Pi’ in which RPi was used as controlling devices enabling user to control home appliances remotely.
Previously I had developed a website which compared price of an electronic device from different e-commerce website, as price is one of the major factor while buying the product.
Recently, I have worked on an industrial Android project as an intern in which I have worked on entire Android application.
I also have knowledge of Debian packaging and have built few packages on amd64 architecture.
Popularity of Debian in MIPS based devices is growing considerably. But many of packages cannot pass compilation, while for some of the packages compilation works intermittently due to reasons like changes in the toolchain etc. This hampers the usability of Debian on MIPS architecture. To provide complete support on this architecture, these packages should be fixed.
Work flow of project:
1. Get Overview of previous work:
- As this project is continuation of GSOC'14 project and Anibal Salazar is continuing as a mentor, I will discuss with him what all things were left out in last year to avoid repetition of work. Besides, I will also communicate with last year's students to know what difficulties they faced so that I could use their experience to progress faster.
2. Create multiple build environments:
- Compilation of packages on MIPS machine is time consuming, so I will be creating multiple build environments to conserve my time.
3. Listing packages:
- After consulting mentor on what sort of packages we should be focusing on during this project, I will create list of packages on which I will be working on.
4. Submit patches:
- Submit patches for fixed packages and close their bugs.
- Study packages which are not getting built on MIPS architecture and submit patches for them.
Benefits to Debian:
- Support of Debian on MIPS architecture will be improved.
- Submit patches for built packages.
28th April-24th May(Before commence of program):
- Get Overview of previous work.
25th May- 2th June:
- Building environment and create list of packages I will be working on during the project.
3rd June-3rd July:
- I) Fixing packages having compilation errors and creating patches for them. II) Create mid-term evaluation report.
4th July-21st August:
- I) Submit patches for more critical packages. II) Submit final report.
Early start of project:
- I have worked on following debian bugs
b) 746176 : The bug was actually for some Big Endian system, but I am able to reproduce it on amd64 machines also. I am working on this bug and will try to fix it as soon as possible.
c) 778975 : I have added my comments to this bug report.
- I have started on getting overview of work done last year, by reading status mails of last year students.
- I have started creating list of packages which FTBFS on MIPS and finding reasons behind their failure. Some of reasons behind failure of compilation are:
I)Changes in the toolchain:
- Because of changes in toolchain (usually gcc) previously compiled packages are having issues. In this case we need to modify the source of the package to make it buildable.
- Incompatibility among packages and libraries is also one cause.
- For some packages upstream does not support all types of architecture. In that case packages cannot be built.
IV)MIPS specific code is absent:
- Some packages do not contain code for MIPS architecture. In this case we need to include code for MIPS architecture.
- I have worked on following debian bugs
Exams and other commitments:
- I will be having my University exam in May but it will get over before commencement of GSOC. I don't have any further commitments.
Other summer plans:
- I don't have any summer plans.
- Debian is touching all grounds of system, be it Desktop or embedded systems or Android, Debian is everywhere. Because of this I am big lover of Debian and want to give back my contribution to this community.
Are you applying for other projects in SoC?:
- Yes. I am also applying for another Debian project –‘Android tools in Debian ‘