Student Application Template
Name: Xilin Sun
Contact/Email: s.sn.giraffe AT gmail.com
Background: I am a third year engineering student from the Hong Kong Polytechnic University. I have been using Debian GNU/Linux for four years, on desktops, mobile devices and servers, and on architectures of x86, amd64, arm and mipsel.
- I have had experience in maintaining servers and workstations running Debian, some other distributions of GNU/Linux, and also Solaris. My previous experience with these systems is related to various aspects, including desktop, scientific computing and embedded devices. Currently I am getting familiar with Debian packaging.
Project title: Improve Debian port on mipsel
Project details: In Debian port on mipsel, many of the packages which could previously pass compilation can no longer pass. Some of the recently uploaded packages cannot pass compilation either. This means the mipsel port of Debian is much lower in quality compared with Debian on x86 or amd64.
- At the same time, a growing number of mips-based devices are now running Debian. Their users are in great need of high quality Debian packages. In this project many of such packages will be rebuilt to improve the quality of Debian port on mipsel.
Synopsis: Build packages for Debian port on mipsel
Benefits to Debian: Package quality of Debian on mipsel will be significantly improved. This will greatly benefit Debian users of a number of models of computers.
- The base systems of Debian on mipsel can be deployed without errors.
- The default desktop environment of Debian on mipsel will be improved, so that it will be suitable for daily use as office or development environment.
- The packages related to embedded systems of Debian on mipsel will be improved, to enable users deploy Debian on mipsel in embedded environment with much less trouble.
- Before 19th May:
- Project planning. Find out the packages that needs and worth rebuilding. Start working on packaging immediately afterwards.
- 19th May to 30th June:
- The first stage. Focusing on packages in the base systems and packages related to basic development tools. Write mid-term summery.
- 1st July to 30th July:
- The second stage. Focusing on packages related to other development tools, including but not limited to embedded environment.
- 31 July to late Aug:
- The third stage. Focusing on packages related to desktop environments. Do the documenting. Write final summery.
- Before 19th May:
Exams and other commitments: All of my exams finish by 16th May.
Other summer plans: Semester starts on 1st Sep, by which time the GSoC 2014 should already be finished.
Why Debian?: For me, the Debian community has always been an extremely attracting world. I am eager to get to know the people behind such a universal operating system, and the way they contribute to it. I believe in software freedom and I consider this the best way to practise such belief.
- I am only applying for this single project in GSoC 2014.