Student Application Template
To fill this in, copy the source text. Please don't rename the template.
This is a suggestion for the kind of information we'll find useful from students in their submissions. Remember -- you're going to be committing to several months' work. The more information and planning you can provide up-front, the more we (and Google!) will have to go on when we're ranking your application. Do not forget adding your submission at SummerOfCode2014/StudentApplications
Name: Kengne Mabou Hervé Frantz
Contact/Email: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; IRC: elprincipekmhf on #debian-soc channel of irc.debian.org
Background: I am a third year Computer science/engineering student graduating at Institut Africain d'Informatique in Libreville, Gabon. Prior to that i did my undergraduate studies in Cameroon in computer science with interests in networked computer systems and security.
Technical skills/Known technologies:
Experience/projects I have worked on:
- Worked on Deployement of an VPN solution using OpenVPN on Debian as an intern of Cameroon ministry of animal industries.
- Worked on an android mobile app for ericsson application challenge 2014 For now i'm working on VOIP solutions that will be shortly test and deploy in an SME here in Gabon. So, working on this Gsoc project will allow me to get my hand with WebRTC as emerging technology in VOIP.
Project title: WebRTC portal for the Debian community
Project details: Debian recently launched a SIP and WebRTC service for his community.A key feature of the service is the web portal rtc.debian.org including a WebRTC softphone based on JSCommunicator and JsSIP. The goal is to extend this portal to provide more features specific to the requirements of Debian Developers such as adding support for SIP/SIMPLE messaging as well as notification mechanism, integrating multi-party conferencing using Jitsi Videobridge. Messaging and calls will be handle by a multi tab interface. I will link WebRTC or Jitsi Videobridge to the dvswitch tool used at conferences like DebConf for screen sharing fonctionnality, adding CTI features using Debian LDAP repository, adding Captcha support to prevent spam calls.
Synopsis: Extending the Debian Community WebRTC portal to provide more features specific to the requirements of Debian Developers
Benefits to Debian: Improvement of collaboration and productivity within the Debian community and developers, add set of new communication means to the existing one (mail, irc, mailing list ...)
- dvswitch/jitsivideo bridge integration
- Instant Messaging (group)
- Captcha to prevent spam calls.
- multi party video/audio call
Project schedule: i'm already preparing for the subject doing some reading and familiarizing my self with the source code base of the variuos projrct that will be involve. I The working period of this project will be three months start by 19th May and end on 22nd Aug.
- week 1-3: SIP/SIMPLE IM and file sharing implementation.
- week 4-6 Multi chat Video conferencing
- week 7-8: CTI integration
- week 9-11: webrtc/jitsi videobridge to dvswitch integration for screen sharing capabilities
- week 12: debugging
Exams and other commitments: i will have some partial exam in Jully
Other summer plans: not really except reading and coding
Why Debian?: Why not Debian !!! Being using Debian for 4 years now for various tasks i'm always amaze by the stability of the OS, So I was eager to get to know the people and philosophy behind such a universal operating system, and the way they contribute to it and i can also contibute to it at all diffrent level.
- No i'm not applying for another project.