Student Application Template
To fill this in, copy the source text. Please don't rename the template.
This is a suggestion for the kind of information we'll find useful from students in their submissions. Remember -- you're going to be committing to several months' work. The more information and planning you can provide up-front, the more we (and Google!) will have to go on when we're ranking your application. Do not forget adding your submission at SummerOfCode2014/StudentApplications
Name: Gaurav Saini
Project title: WebRTC portal for the Debian community
Project details: Debian have a SIP and WebRTC service for his community. JSCommunicator and JsSIP are its highlight feature as they provide a softphone feature in browser. In this project I will work on extending this portal to provide more features and user friendly User Interface. With the support of Contact List, Instant Messaging and Conference call, web portal will be more useful and productivity will increase. I am interested in making the Web UI in a AngularJS and Bootstrap for great UI for a Web Portal. Contact list info , caller and calle info can be get from LDAP accounts. File Sharing will be peer to peer and will be implemented using WebRTC RTCPeerConnection. Also, my main focus will be on File Sharing, Conference call and Instant Messaging (group and individually). There can be new Ideas that can come during the process of building the web portal. I think using JSCommunicator we have a great starting point ans we can capitalize on it and add more feature mentioned over it. Extra stuff other this that can be added if time left is introducing notification system for users. Something is like if anyone left an offline message for the user he can get it when he login in the portal. I am at this time not sure that if this possible with WebRTC as its peer to peer so we have to store it somewhere and develop some system. Scope of this Idea can be discussed later on.
Synopsis: Enhancing the Debian WebRTC portal providing impressive UI, new features and requirements like File Sharing and Contacts List.
Benefits to Debian: It will help improving the communication between the debian developers as compared to IRC and mailing lists. This way developers can express their view more clearly with audio and video support.
Deliverables: At this point I am not that much sure about exact deliverable. I will add more and will discuss with community about new improvements and feature they want in this portal.
- Contact List of existing users.
- Instant Messaging.
- File Transfer
- Conference Call
- Design user-friendly Web-Interface.
- Community bonding period: I will start learning more about JSCommunicator, SIP, Drucall, Jisti and dvswitch. I will familiarize myself with these projects and work on their source code.
- Week 1 and 2: I will start working on the initial structure of Web UI, deployment and User Lists if possible using LDAP.
- Week 3 and 5: Instant Messaging and Conference Call
- Week 5 and 7: File Sharing Integration
- Week 8: Any New Improvement if any during the project or during discussion
- Week 9 and 10: Final improvement to the UI and testing/debugging.
- Week 11 and 12: Assesments, bugs removal if any and final deployment on any test/cloud server.
Exams and other commitments: No, I did not have any exam commitment. Just that our summer vacation will end around 1st August. But during that time also, I can work and will have more hours of work in weekends.
Other summer plans: No, other commitments. I will be able to spend 40+ hours weekly and also will try to spend as much as time on weekends.
Why Debian?: I am choosing Debian, because of the nature of the project and skills needed in it. Also, I am new to debian so will be eager to contribute more in future towards other debian Java and UI projects.
- Are you applying for other projects in SoC? Yes, I am applying to Ganglia and Mifos Community for my other two projects.