Streamline the preparation of BOINC projects
Summary: Further develop the boinc-server-maker package, complete the turorial and apply it all for virtual drug screening
- good reading and writing skills
- strong interest in scientific computing
Description: BOINC stands for the Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing. Debian offers a readily usable package for the BOINC client since several years. Co-maintained with Ubuntu developers the package directly reaches tens of thousands registered installations and as such represents as considerable contribution to the volunteer computing community. The recent Google Code-In project seeded an effort to also help a larger adoption of the server side of BOINC for the distribution [1,2]. A thus reduced setup time for BOINC projects shall then foster the adoption of the technology for smaller environments and smaller problems. And a clearly paved technology shall further help to allow grant writers to focus more on the application side, which will this way also help the larger projects.
- Show and document that the boinc-server-maker package of Debian is fully compatible with the VMware setup that BOINC provides itself.
- Address the problem of MySQL schema changes between versions by using the tools BOINC provides.
- Prepare a template package (e.g. from the examples) for application specific boinc-server packages. The boinc-server-maker package shall be a build dependency for that package.
- Get as far as you can in preparing one or multiple Debian packages for in silico screening of molecular compounds with autodock .
Aims: This GSoC project shall take all the tears and fears from preparing novel BOINC projects. This shall take half of the time and determines the interim report. Then be as good as you can for the application on molecular docking. This may literally safe lives.