Hurd Debian-Installer: Roadmap
Currently working on
Fix the bootstrap problem with the current monolithic images
- The current images hang after exec is started. Apparently exec dies right after it starts, when trying it under chroot, the busybox shell works fine, but /hurd/exec just prints "Killed". The problem seems to be with the libraries, since LD_LIBRARY_PATH=mnt/lib /hurd/exec dies as well and mnt/hurd/exec out of chroot prints the usual "Must be started as a translator" message.
Polish the busybox changes
- I have a fairly complete busybox building. My changes are against the upstream git repository. I'd like to add kFreeBSD support as well, and backport them into the Debian package.
Make genext2fs more flexible
- We need 4k blocks and Hurd as the creator OS. Samuel Thibault's patch has been used as a starting point, and I have made the block size specified by a command-line option. It seems to work fine, except for a few errors in the block bitmaps detected by e2fsck on the created image.
Setup translators, etc. in the installation initrd
- I'll try to do it by providing a /lib/debian-installer-startup.d script in hurd-udeb.
We will also need
Random fixes to the installation process
Add initrd support to GNU Mach
Set translators in hurd's postinst
- Some of the magic from native-install needs to be moved into the hurd package's postinst. Crosshurd would need to be updated to reflect the change.