This page is merely a copy of the proposal hosted at the GSoC website
Name: Thibaut Girka
IRC: ThibG on Freenode and OFTC
I'm a first year student at the Versailles Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines University, I use Debian on my main computer (testing/unstable/experimental with appropriate apt-pinning), my personal server (Lenny release), and on my FreeRunner (on which I have installed SHR-u on the NAND, and Debian on a µSD card).
I have skills in C and Python, and I have experience in contributing FLOSS projects (and managing smaller-sized ones too).
I have also packaged a package (bluemindo) for Debian.
Additional comments about the project:
To the user, the installation process would be to put a uImage in the FR's RAM through dfu-util, boot from it, and connect to the device using SSH through USB networking.
This would provide an easy (those steps could be automated by a script) way of running d-i on the FR without writing anything on the NAND or on the µSD card (before the installation itself).
Here is a quick time plan:
May 24 - June 6: s3c24xx kernel flavour
- Write a s3c24xx kernel config that would run on the GTA02 and provide at least USB networking
- Write a patch for the linux-2.6 package
- Write a patch for kernel udeb
June 7 - June 20: first d-i image for the FR
- Write a preseed file for network setup
Create a d-i target for the FreeRunner
Create a ?FreeSmartphone task based on what is installed by install.sh
June 21 - June 27: installation script
- Write a script that would:
- push the d-i image using dfu-util
- tells u-boot to boot it
- setup network configuration
- connect to the network console
- Package it nicely for Debian
June 28 - July 11: gta02 kernel
- The s3c24xx kernel will run on the GTA02, but it won't contain everything needed to install Debian on a µSD card.
- Provide patches for glamo on top of the s3c24xx kernel
- Rebuild a u-boot image with this kernel instead of the s3c24xx one
- Start thinking about how to get those patches included in linux-2.6
- Prepare for the mid-term evaluation
July 12 - July 25: get a clean gta02 kernel
- Get clean, separate, minimal patches for glamo (and other needed drivers?)
- Talk with the Debian Kernel Team / OM upstream / kernel upstream about these patchs
July 26 - August 8: inclusion into Debian
- Get the s3c24xx kernel — hopefully with glamo patches — into Debian
Get the ?FreeSmartphone task in Debian (in tasksel-data or in its own package)
- Get the changes made to d-i into Debian
August 9 - August 16: Bug fixes, documentation
- Test Debian Installer again from start to beginning with various choices
- Fix what should be fixed
- Document the installation process
- Describe the work that has been done
- Complete documentation about d-i, kernel packaging or other things if needed
I can more or less start the work now, and I'll be in less than two months, so...
Travel: Well, traveling to New York for the Debian conference may be interesting, and I don't see a strong reason against it at the moment, but I'm not too sure about my level in spoken English and how I'd feel in a totally different environment.