Web Tools for Debian Pure Blends
Description: There are some tools developed for Debian Pure Blends to provide a reasonable overview for users about the packages which are supported by the Blend (examples Debian Science, Debian Edu, Debian Med). Moreover there are developer oriented bugs pages (examples Debian Science, Debian Edu, Debian Med). The scripts which generate these web pages should be simplified by using the UltimateDebianDatabase and gain new features (?DebTags, Screenshots, etc.) and other features which might enhance QA work. This task is attractive for students because they become involved in modern techniques to handle the Debian package pool (UDD, ?DebTags).
- Parse new queue and inject the information we need for the tasks files into UDD (I wrote 70% of the code which is needed and think I will finish this until end of March). This would enable adding a section of the packages in NEW
- Find a reasonable way to move the content of Blends tasks files into UDD. This would add a further layer of abstraction and makes creation of the tasks and bugs pages even more simple.
- Inter-Blend relations For instance if science-biology depends from med-bio resolve the dependencies of med-bio and lilst these on the science-biology tasks page instead of just med-bio etc.
- Handling dependencies of libraries save against version changes. If a library undergoes a version change it is currently not found by the Blends tools any more. Similarly but perhaps even harder to handle are packages with explicite version numbers (octave, posgresql, etc.)
- If the tasks file contains information about a prospective package (not yet official Debian package but a DD is working in Vcs on packaging stuff) this info should be parsed and used for the tasks pages (and perhaps the Blends UDD information updated accordingly)
- Implementing Popcon stats (just in UDD) on the tasks pages.
- Adding information of screenshots.debian.net to tasks pages - this information is missing in UDD but it could probably easily added.
- Implementing a link checker to make sure all information on the tasks pages is correct. It might be reasonable to check any link in UDD and let tasks pages simply profit from the verified links.
- Adding some usage sugar to the tasks pages
- Use UDD information to build the debian/control file of the source package of a blend.
- Whatever idea you might have in addition.
Interested student: Diego Escalante Urrelo "diegoe at gnome dt org"