Improve boot system task description.
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 29:||Line 29:|
|* Adding IPv6 vserver support (aba)|
This is a draft, and need a lot of work before it leave the draft state.
Should Debian participate in Googles Summer of Code 2006? If so, the project need to formulate projects and announce our interest. This wiki page is created to make it easier to plan and coordinate such effort.
[http://google-code-updates.blogspot.com/2006/04/summer-of-code-2006.html Request for mentoring organizations] has gone out, and Debian need to move quickly to make it before the May 1st deadline. Mentoring organisations should read the [http://code.google.com/soc/mentorfaq.html mentor FAQ].
- Decide if Debian should participate?
- No vote against it has been placed so far.
- Announce our interest to Google and the rest of the world
- Formulate projects
To be decided
Possible Projects (in () possible mentors)
(also see [http://www.us.debian.org/devel/todo/ the general TODO list])
?DebTags central database rewrite, review functionality, tag adoption and such.
- reportbug enhancements (graphical and/or webbased, so its easier for user to report)
- A Python/GTK/QT app to manage Debian BTS (would queue actions and then send an e-mail to the BTS to commit changes, make it easier to browse bugs, cross-reference, tag/update/close, etc)
- Britney improvents (aba)
- Adding IPv6 vserver support (aba)
- Nicer support of pinning in apt (aba)
- Unify apt, dpkg, etc (aba)
- Improvements/unification in QA websites (packages.qa.d.o, qa.d.o/developer, dehs, etc)
- Real perl shlibs (aba)
- Improve shlibs to caclulate the used shlibs, rather than the theorically required ones (aba)
- A user-friendly security-update notifier/installer
- Improved debian/watch system to check upstream versions (possibly in a central db)
Improved system to handle WNPP, including expiry of ITPs, checking that orphaned packages have correct maintainer fields, etc. (DavidMorenoGarza, willing to work on this even if it gets into SoC or not).
Improve the boot system, speed up and make it dependency based. See discussions on [http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/initscripts-ng-devel/ the initscripts-ng list] and [http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts LSB init script page]. (pere)
- Support for subversion in alioth
(?AigarsMahinovs - I am a DD and was a participant in SOC 2005, I can mentor students willing to do Debian projects)