The ShowMeBox is a proposal for a computer with a purpose in connection with DebConf 2016 in Cape Town. This is the page where questions about the project can be asked and fleshed out. At this stage (Sept 2015) it is an unordered list.
- How many competition sites - 100 or 10000?
- Any other locations than Cape Town?
What is the AIM of the ShowMeBox?
- Technical: promoting Debian and the art of open data analytics
- Social: (why should people enter the competition, what's in it for them?)
What is the REACH of the ShowMeBox for DebConf2016?
- By numbers reached (knowing that this will not lead to 100% conversion into uptake)
- By number of boxes possible to produce
People to possibly contact:
i. In terms of giving leads to contact further, or facilitate direct engagement:
- Bridget and Gavin Flemming, based in South Africa, teaching and GIS background
ii. Direct engagement envisaged:
Data Science Tutorial stage
- Volunteers (add names here)
- Resources: What is required? flights? Boxes, manual, website (use the main wiki page?)
Currently happening in #debian-in@OFTC.net, should we make our own channel? Pro of a big channel: can get more people interested, Con: stuff gets lost in the noise
- Should we have a public facing Mailing list?
definitely an 'I'm interested, sign me up for when more info becomes available'
- Should we have a general contact email?
Do we want a domain? e.g. ShowMeBox.org (can redirect to the wiki)
- Can we explore a scenario where other companies wants to get involved, sponsor? What could that look like? What concerns would we need to address and thus plan for?
September: Planning phase: sponsors, contacts, box development, software packaging, jury
October: Development phase: Box ready, software, promotion material, website, Q&A
November: Campaign phase: Prints, campaign kick-off and follow-up, sign-up, support
December: Implementation phase: Distribution, support
-April: Competition phase: participants' deadline. Support
May: Revision phase: Time enough for practical arrangements for the winning teams? Is DebConf in the middle of exams?
June: DebConf: hosting, project presentations
July: Aftermath phase: online hosting