Pike is a dynamic programming language with a syntax similar to Java and C. It is simple to learn, does not require long compilation passes and has powerful built-in data types allowing simple and really fast data manipulation.
Quick installation instruction
apt-get install pike7.6 (will soon change to just pike or pike7.8)
For documentation, install pike7.6-doc
Debian Pages about Pike
- Polish up the 7.8.116 package or go directly to 7.8.316
- How to check that all modules are built that we want (make a list of what we want)
- Go through debian/*.install and comment out all non-matching entries so that we can increase the Debhelper compat level.
- we need to discuss whether some files go in the right packages. For example, should /usr/lib/pike/7.6.112/modules/Cache.pmod/Storage.pmod/MySQL.pike be moved to pike7.8-mysql? 
- (And the same for the other Cache.Storage modules)
: comment on mysql.pike: i wonder if it[mysql.pike] is needed to be able to successfully test if mysql support is enabled if the file is removed any test for mysql would cause a crash so the question is what happens if the file is there but the .so file is missing (because the pike-mysql package is not actually insalled if it reports mysql as not available then that's fine, if it reports mysql as working, then there is a problem