Paul Wise <firstname.lastname@example.org>
pabs on irc.debian.org, pabs3 on irc.freenode.net.
For more information about my involvement in Debian, please see my portfolio page. Below is some more information that is not available from my portfolio page.
- Bugs (old/other addresses)
I use the following packages from Debian contrib/non-free (and their deps):
- Hardware enablement: intel-microcode firmware-iwlwifi
- GFDL GNU documentation: gcc-doc gdb-doc make-doc tar-doc
better communication on Debian fora
- this timeperiod on IRC
- general, per-distribution mechanism to list releases and their URLs/order/support/etc. This should replace all the hardcoding of release names in various places.
- ending the tyranny of unix permissions/groups - move more projects to collab-maint
- better general, per-release and per-package communication mechanisms with Debian users.
- component search on packages.d.o
- polls infrastructure
- get rid of the concept of default desktops
- more integration of Debian blends
- support for touchscreen-only and mobile devices
- OEM mode
- tell you about freedom issues with whatever you are running Debian on (hardware, hypervisor, kernel etc)
- post-install for OEM mode
- Supersedes to get rid of transition packages
- allow packages to register files as belonging to them
- a mode where packages can be generically-configured but not configured for specific machines (useful for OEM/Live images, OpenSSH keys for eg are machine-specific and should not be in OEM/Live images).
- integration with debdelta
- a better format for sources.list
- sync dpkg and aptitude holds
- a way to keep build-deps installed without metapackages for each source package
- make apt not forget its brain when there are hash mismatches
- build-depends on source packages
- silent/progress mode so I can see warnings/errors easier
- architecture wildcards for linux-all, kfreebsd-all, etc for things that could be built once but only work on specific kernels.
- ways to direct/encourage user donations to upstreams/Debian
- cut down packages/sources per blend in dists
- remove Debian-specific stuff
port aptitude/synaptic/etc to PackageKit
- split branding into separate packages
- add more to UDD
- base more services on UDD
- infra for a "QA cloud" based on donating CPU time
- source package search based on LXR/OpenGrok/etc
automated detection of embedded code copies (CloneWise)
- revive DDPO-by-mail
- survey use of QA infra by Debian contributors
- fix upstream check situation
- unified dynamic infrastructure instead of daily-built and split up into multiple interfaces
- merge bts-link into debbugs
- use distromatch to link to patches, bugs etc from other distributions
- export sponsor info into mentors.d.n sources
- bapase to pts
- mole to pts
- reduce the impact of the freeze on development
- mail people when their packages do not migrate instead of when they do
- oldstable security support until stable+1 release
- clarify/obsolete the conflation between bug severity and RC-ness
- support information in Release files and user notification
- transition staging areas
revive package promotion/reviews and promote them from packages.d.o (543343)
- figure out a solution for dotfile insanity
package one of the online subtitle editors and get Debian users to subtitle the DebConf video archive
- info.debian.net: extract all info files
- fonts.debian.net: font lookup/etc
- mime.debian.net: file format lookup
Please consider my contributions to this wiki as public domain.
Comments, flames, etc
Stuff to consider packaging
Cool software/stuff that I saw on blogs/elsewhere and thought should be in Debian or Debian Unsupported at some point. Note that it isn't necessarily stuff I would use, just that the people who might would appreciate it a lot. This was festering in my ~/TODO so I decided it needed airing out. I've moved the list of links into an interesting software subpage.