This portal is about information relevant to developers wishing to package software for Debian. If you were looking for information on installing and removing packages from your Debian system, see the package management page.
Debian packages are maintained by a community of Debian Developers and volunteers.
If you're just starting out with Debian packaging, please read the official documentation first:
Guide for Debian Maintainers -- describes the building of a Debian package with many examples
Debian Packaging Tutorial -- slides-based overview of Debian packaging
Debian Policy -- guiding rules
Developers Reference -- advanced guide etc.
Introduction for maintainers: How will my package get into Debian?
Introduction to Debian Packaging
To get a good grounding in Debian packaging:
first read the excellent introduction to Debian Packaging to build a package from scratch,
you can also look at the building tutorial to apply changes to an existing package.
if you are new to debian, then setting up debian unstable system can help you setup a development environment.
Now that you have seen the basics, it is highly recommended that you read some real stuff:
the Debian Policy includes technical requirements that each package must satisfy.
- More than anything, please also check the source code of existing recently updated packages of similar kinds.
Then, if you are looking for answers, you can come back here or read:
The Developers Reference provides an overview of the recommended procedures and the available resources for Debian developers.
What not to do:
There are no shortcuts to learning good packaging practices. Avoid equivs which is only useful for building trivial metapackages and does not teach you anything about packaging.
Types / Formats
AndroidTools - Android tools
Fonts/PackagingPolicy - Fonts
https://go-team.pages.debian.net/packaging.html - Golang libraries and applications
Teams/DebianHaskellGroup - Haskell environment and libraries
Java/Packaging - Java libraries and applications
https://salsa.debian.org/lua-team - Lua modules
Teams/DebianMonoGroup/NewPackage - Mono libraries and applications
Teams/DebianMozExtTeam - Mozilla extensions
Teams/OCamlTaskForce - OCaml libraries
Python/Packaging - Python modules and applications
Teams/Ruby/Packaging - Ruby modules and applications
Teams/RustPackaging - Rust crates and applications
RPM - repackaging RPM packages as .deb packages
UsingQuilt - Patch management
PackagingWithDarcs - Darcs version control
PackagingWithGit - Git version control
Packaging/sbuild - sbuild clean build tool
Packaging/debspawn - debspawn clean build tool
PbuilderTricks - Pbuilder clean build tool
SecurePbuilder - Secure Pbuilder builder tool
Packaging/ruby-team-meta-build - build scripts used by ruby team, helps testing reverse dependencies easily
Tools suggestion to create an environment to packaging
To create a packaging environment, you will need to study and install the following tools:
* Packaging/sbuild clean build tool and to install with apt use command apt install sbuild.
The sbuild is used in the Debian build service (buildd).
* UsingQuilt patches management to install apt install quilt.
* PackagingWithGit Git management packaging to install apt install git-buildpackage.
* piuparts .deb package installation, upgrading, and removal testing tool to install apt install piuparts.
* Lintian comprehensive package checker for Debian packages to install apt install lintian.
* Devscripts - scripts to make the life of a Debian Package maintainer easier to install apt install devscripts.
* Autopkgtest - executes tests found in Debian source packages to install apt install autopkgtest.
* blhc - search for missing hardening flags to install apt install blhc. See Debian: how to use blhc to solve hardening issues when packaging.
* dh-make converts source archives into Debian package source to install apt install dh-make.
* cowbuilder really handy to build your project for many distributions at once and to install apt install cowbuilder.
Okay, now you have an environment ready to go to start the packaging Debian studies!
AdvancedBuildingTips - Advanced building tips
Courses2005/BuildingWithoutHelper - How to make a Debian package without using a helper
/HackingDependencies - hacking dependencies
/ComplexWebApps - Create debian packages for complex web applications
PackagingFAQ - Packaging FAQ
Mentors - sponsors/mentors for packages in specific areas of Debian
Renaming_a_Package - Renaming a Package
PackageTransition - Package Transition
?PkgSplit - How to split a package into smaller packages
Repackage_srcrpm - creating a proper Debian source package while referencing the src.rpm package
DebugPackage - Debug Package
PackageArchitectureAlmostAny - Creating package without some particular architectures for easy porting
ConfigPackages - Config Package
DpkgConffileHandling - Gracefully Handling conffiles
EditingBinaryPackageMetadata - Editing Binary Package Metadata
SoftwarePackaging - Software Packaging
SponsorChecklist - Sponsor Checklist
HowToPackageForDebian - How to package for Debian
AutomaticPackagingTools - Automatic Packaging Tools
DEX - improving Debian and its derivatives through cross-community teamwork
Repacking - Collecting information about repacking
PackageConfigUpgrade - propose a new way to smoothly handle configuration upgrades during package upgrades
Diagrams - packaging related diagrams and sketches
WNPP - Work-Needing and Prospective Packages list packages that have been requested for packaging, or need a new maintainer
CheckInstall - Build binary .deb packages from installation scripts (make install...)
From Debian Women
https://feeding.cloud.geek.nz/posts/whats-in-a-debian-directory/ - What's in a debian/ directory
https://github.com/dod38fr/config-model/wiki/Managing-Debian-packages-with-cme - Managing Debian package files with cme
https://packaging.ubuntu.com/ - Ubuntu Packaging Guide
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ - APT HOWTO (Obsolete Documentation)
https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Debian-Binary-Package-Building-HOWTO.html Debian Binary Package Building HOWTO (2005)
All pages related to packaging in Debian:
- GitPackagingSurvey/bare debian
- GitPackagingSurvey/bare debian monorepo
- GitPackagingSurvey/bare template
- GitPackagingSurvey/manually maintained applied
- GitPackagingSurvey/modified orig plus further unapplied patches