This package supersedes the xmame-* packages, as the unix sdl port of Mame has been integrated in official mame since 0.136. See http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/?p=519 for info.
1. Create a folder "mame" and a subfolder "mame/roms" in your home directory.
2. Download the freely available rom World Rally from http://gaelco.com and put the wrally.zip file in the "roms" folder.
3. Check now the sanity of your roms. Mame is very picky about that.
mame -verifyroms wrally : tibpal20l8-25cnt.b23 (260 bytes) - NOT FOUND - NO GOOD DUMP KNOWN wrally : gal16v8-25lnc.h21 (260 bytes) - NOT FOUND - NO GOOD DUMP KNOWN wrally : tibpal20l8-25cnt.h15 (260 bytes) - NOT FOUND - NO GOOD DUMP KNOWN romset wrally is best available mac2bios: macs2os_l.bin (524288 bytes) - NOT FOUND - NO GOOD DUMP KNOWN mac2bios: macs2os_h.bin (524288 bytes) - NOT FOUND - NO GOOD DUMP KNOWN romset mac2bios is best available 2 romsets found, 2 were OK.
You can safely ignore the mac2bios warning.
4. Now start Mame with the command "mame" from the shell or from your desktop applications menu.
5. Basic keyboard commands include
- 5 key to insert a coin
- 1 key to start the game
- Tab key to access the mame internal menu
6. If mame is way too slow on your computer and you have 3D hardware acceleration available, change the "video" parameter from "soft" to "opengl" in the Mame configuration file.
MAME binary: /usr/games/mame
MAME tools directory: /usr/bin (chdman, ldresample, ...)
Configuration file: $HOME/.mame/mame.ini or /etc/mame/mame.ini
Output folders: $HOME/.mame (memory cards, snapshots, ...)
Core folders: /usr/share/games/mame (roms, cheats, ...)
ROMS AND CONFIGURATION
A default configuration file is provided with the package and installed in /etc/mame/mame.ini
If you need to change the location of the roms folder or tweak something like video or cheats you can either:
make your own copy of /etc/mame/mame.ini in your home at $HOME/.mame/mame.ini and edit that file (recommended)
edit directly /etc/mame/mame.ini
You can verify that MAME have read the correct options with "mame -showconfig" and even create a fresh mame.ini file with "mame -createconfig".
If you upgraded from a previous version of mame, you might have to replace your rom sets, see the Mame FAQ on ROMs.
MAME utilities like chdman, jedutil, ldresample or ldverify are available in a separate extra package called mame-tools.
This package uses quilt to manage all modifications to the upstream source. Changes are stored in the source package as diffs in debian/patches and applied during the build. See /usr/share/doc/quilt/README.source for a detailed explanation.