Benefits available to Debian members and contributors are listed below.
To offer benefits to Debian contributors, register an account and add your organisation below in alphabetical order.
Your organisation may also be interested in helping Debian using your resources. If so, you can donate to us, form ongoing partnerships with us, sponsor our conferences, provide gratis products or services to Debian contributors, provide gratis hosting for Debian service experiments, run mirrors of our software, installation media or conference videos or promote our software and community by providing a testimonial or selling Debian merchandise, installation media, pre-installed systems, consulting or hosting. If any of your staff are interested to help Debian, there are many technical and non-technical ways to help out.
NOTE: some services and discounts listed below are meant to be used only for Debian-related work (e.g. debian.net subdomains).
Looking for hardware to run some Debian-related service? See ServicesHosting
Most standard benefits of Debian membership are documented in the welcome mail sent to new and returning members. In addition members can create debian.net subdomains and vote in Debian Project Leader elections and General Resolutions.
DDs, DMs and other contributors may obtain certification of their membership/contributions.
DDs, DMs and other contributors may ask for hardware donations or obtain access to Debian hardware related to their contributions.
DDs, DMs and contributors may ask for Debian to pay for meetings, hardware and other expenses needed for Debian related tasks.
Bytemark offer a 5% discount on Premium Dedicated hosts to Free Software authors, where "Free Software" is defined as per the DebianFreeSoftwareGuidelines.
Software Freedom Conservancy offers to hold copyright on works produced by the Debian community and or to enforce the licenses on free software works in accordance with their community-oriented principles. It also offers the same services to other segments of the Free Software community. Conservancy signs contracts with individual contributors.
Debian contributors should contact email@example.com to discuss these services.
- Digital Ocean
Digital Ocean offers free credits for open source projects, including Debian-related activities. Sponsored projects need to advertise for DO and must fulfill certain criteris. See sponsorships program and credits for projects about details.
Debian contributors should contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- GPLHost VPS
GPLHost provides virtual servers running Xen. Provided that your need is to host something related to free software (it doesn't have to be Debian related though), GPLHost can host your project for free. This will be of the form of a free VPS with 512 to 2048 MB of RAM, and 25 to 100 GB of HDD. Everything is currently hosted on a single server in Paris, connected with 1Gbits/s link. The service is self managed (you can reinstall Debian by yourself using the control panel), though zigo will be happy to provide support on IRC.
DDs should send emails to email@example.com (main owner of GPLHost) to get the discount and directions on how to obtain the virtual machine. Mails should be sent using OpenPGP signatures, to prove that you're really a DD (or a DM).
Gandi provides website hosting, cloud computing, domain registration and X.509 certificate services. Gandi provides discounts to the open source community.
DDs and DMs must send an OpenPGP-signed email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating your status (Debian Developer or Debian Maintainer) and your Gandi account's username or handle (personal accounts only; no company or reseller accounts). To expedite provisioning, set your account's billing currency before sending the email. Once verified, Gandi will apply discounted grid (level 'E') to the account.
LeaseWeb provides dedicated servers, bare metal servers, private clouds, virtual servers and content delivery networks. LeaseWeb offers discounts to Debian Developers.
DDs should send emails to email@example.com (for North America) or firstname.lastname@example.org (for Europe) from their @debian.org address with subject "debian.org membership special offer (ref VLCH)".
- After confirmation of identity by replying to emails sent to their @debian.org address, DDs are entitled to discounts. The specific amount of discount is dependent on the service requested and the availability of resources (eg, number of dedicated servers available at the time of the request).
Lenovo offers discounts for many kinds of Lenovo equipment for all active Debian Developers.
- DDs should register in the portal corresponding to their geographic zone with their @debian.org mail address.
- In order to take advantage of these discounts, you must first visit a region supported, and appropriate URL (see below for full list), register an account using your @debian.org address, and select items while browsing through the region-supported URL. If you visit Lenovo's site through a different entry point, you will not have the discount applied. For the Canada and USA region, you will know that you are in the right place if at the very top of the window you see, 'Welcome Linux Community' and your URL query string will have '?groupId=linux'. It is not enough to have this query string in your URL, you must be logged into an account that is registered with @debian.org email address. You should see a discount applied when you add the item to your cart. As of March 2023, some other regions (e.g. Europe) seem to have no obvious such status indicator, but show the discounted price and the struck off standard price on the displayed prices even before adding to the cart. Please note: this paragraph has not been confirmed to be accurate in its entirety.
- These are currently available in the following regions, Lenovo is working to enable other geographical areas.
Americas: Argentina, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Peru, United States of America
Europe: Austria, Belgium and Luxembourg (nl, fr), Denmark, England, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland (en, de, fr)
More details in this message (and the corresponding thread) and the "Lenovo+Debian" talks at DebConf22, DebConf21 and DebConf20.
DDs and DMs can get a Debian affiliated cloak for the libera.chat IRC network.
To ask for one, open an issue for libera cloak salsa project. For further instructions see the README
LWN is a news and information source for the free software community.
DDs can request a subscription by sending a OpenPGP-signed email to email@example.com indicating their LWN username. The requests are processed in batches.
- Thank you to Microsoft who is footing the LWN bill since 2020, and HP who have done so in the past.
Purism offers discounts for all active Debian Developers.
DDs should send OpenPGP-signed emails to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting keys.
rsync.net offers gratis backup storage for all active Debian Developers.
- DDs should follow the instructions on the offer page.
This offer is currently on hold.
Steam offers subscriptions to select titles to the open source community. Collabora coordinates the dissemination of keys.
DDs and DMs should send OpenPGP-signed emails to email@example.com requesting keys. Steam and most games distributed by it are proprietary software.