Prerequisites: study the external links about Press Releases and watch out Project activities at other teams
Marketing for Debian
An initiative and interest group to better market the Debian GNU/Linux distribution.
Communication and Coordination
- Regular meetings on IRC
Mailing list email@example.com
- IRC channel #debian-marketing
- Probably most important(even though a bit abstract): attract more people to install and use(and develop?!) Debian.
- Define our target groups. (which users, prospective developers) How do we reach them? What do they need?
- Present Debian in an appealing way to our target groups.
- Maintain a better website, putting useful content first.
- Inform others about success stories and other great happenings.
- Maintain consistent graphics/sounds themes for everything that is themeable.
- Help developers to quickly integrate new themes.
- Make testing a known alternative.
- What are the low hanging fruits? What are easy first steps that give good results?
- Have some basic installation Debian packages on a CD/DVD for developing countries (like India) where bandwidth is not good.
Tools and methods to reach the goal(s)
- Market research - know the market
- Who is not yet using Debian but should?
- What do successful competitors do? (e.g. why is Ubuntu so madly successful in such a short time? Why is Windows still used on 90% of machines?)
- Understand why the people not(yet) using Debian did decide so (if they did decide it) and work on the reasons
- Merchandize: T-shirts, stickers, cd/dvd's, posters, mousepads, and other such stuff is helping to make things popular nowadays. In Debian, most of these things are produced at the risk of private persons, and sold, not given out for free - so they are unlikely to reach people who do not yet know about Debian - only those who are fans already.
How to write proper press releases? http://www.publicityinsider.com/release.asp
Bits from the DPL: marketing team delegations http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/04/msg00009.html
The Open Design Community http://www.opendesigns.org/
Open Source Writers Group (old, but people could be invited) http://www.ibiblio.org/oswg/docs/writers.html
Useful sources of information about the Linux/Debian landscape
Which distros are popular in which countries? http://royal.pingdom.com/?p=340
Things to write about
- Debian on educational desktop in .br
Lenny launch <-- This is important and should be spread far and wide.
proposal: maybe use www.getdebian.org for this goal? (It's ?mine )
- How about marketing fliers which explain ...
- What Debian is all about, including the philosophy.
How popular it is (it spawned derivatives
- The different teams within Debian and the work they do.
- The different languages it supports.
- The different architectures it supports
- and so on...
- Anyone interested could download these and use them to promote Debian locally.
- Creating buttons for websites. Example : "This site uses Debian"
<add link to existing banners here>
- Creating artwork, posters, leaflets, banners, stickers, etc... Storing them in a central place for downloading by all.
<add link to existing artwork here>
- prod the debian-artwork website admins to enable thumbnails...
- Extremadura Meeting to sort out the general concept? probably with these groups:
Who is interested?
- pixelgirl michelle
Fabio Tranchitella ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
Valessio Brito ( email@example.com )
Teams with similar and related work areas
The DebianDesktop team