What is DevJam?
A developer and packager meeting around coordinating and improving the state of packaging of large scale applications written in the java programming language using the GNU Classpath, gcj and other free java-like tool chains for the various GNU/Linux distributions.
NOTE: this page is really for historical purposes...
See the full history at /History
Java/DevJam/2005/Oldenburg: from 23th to 25th September 2005, Oldenburg, Germany
Java/DevJam/2007/Fosdem: from 24th and 25th February 2007 in Brussels, Belgium
Java/DevJam/2008/Fosdem: from 23th and 24th February 2008 in Brussels, Belgium
Java/DevJam/2009/Fosdem: from 7th and 8th February 2009 in Brussels, Belgium
The next DevJam meeting
Three Java/DevJam developer and packager meetings have been organized so far. On this page we will try to coordinate a future meeting on a but a longer timeframe for planning to ensure that those traveling longer distances can adequately make arrangements. There is als a DevJam mailinglist that can be used for coordination.
classpath: how will it evolves further, and how are we going to deal with the big merge with openjdk (who does it, what, when, how, SCA vs. FSF CA, etc)
SUN <-> community: sorting out packaging, branding, certification
Java/DevJam meetings try to attract the main packagers of the various GNU/Linux distributions, JPackage representatives, traditional java build and packaging experts (ant/maven) and hackers from the various projects around GNU Classpath, gcj and the various Free Software groups that are working together to Escape the Java Trap. To make the hackfest as successful as possible we are aiming for a group of 20 to 30 people which will be asked to give a short presentation of their project and packaging efforts. Who are also interested in doing actual hacking during the event to show how the various packaging proposals can/should work out.
- As long only "local" people come, the costs will be almost neglectible. One could expect perhaps 10-50E per local participant who is able to come by car or train (since many wont need any support at all). Participants that have to come from a neighbouring country or state can cost more like 200-400Euro, participants needing to travel to/from Americans from/to Europe need around 700Euro and participants needing to travel from/to Japanese or Australians to/from Europe would be around 1300Euro, if they book their tickets in time. With those estimates the current list of people would perhaps end up in the XXX/YYYEuro/Dollar area.
- The cost of this meeting will depend mostly on the travel costs of the people from abroad. It is estimated to be below XXX EURO/Dollar. The budget will include
- Travel for the involved/contributing people who need support
- Reasonable lodging
- Meeting venue
- Instructions for participants seeking sponsorship
- Add an item before this one