move profile info to Firefox
remove troubleshooting method, move to Firefox
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 11:||Line 11:|
|=== Iceweasel is consistently crashing on a website ===
* First run Iceweasel without loading any extensions or plugins and see if the problem persists. This can be done by using the -safe-mode option
MOZILLA_DISABLE_PLUGINS=1 iceweasel -safe-mode
* If the problem goes away, then it means that one of the installed extensions is the root cause of the problem. If not then read on!
* Create a new user and try to reproduce the problem on the new user's account.
* If there is no problem with Iceweasel on new user's account, chances are that your ~/.mozilla/firefox/ directory is corrupt.
* In order to see if the ~/.mozilla/firefox/ is infact corrupt or not, move it to some other directory and start Iceweasel again
mv ~/.mozilla/firefox/ ~/old_firefox
* If the problem goes away, well and good. Otherwise you can ask for help on debian-user mailing list by providing all the relevant information like "the way to reproduce the crash", "the version of Iceweasel you are using", and "the distribution you are using" etc., Finally, if you are confident that it is a bug in the Iceweasel package please consider filing a bug against the Iceweasel package.
TODO: merge with legacy section of Firefox
Unsupported Browser Error
- In order to browse websites like mlsni.net which allows Firefox but not Iceweasel, you'll need to change the user agent string of your browser. Look at the section "User Agent String" on how to change the user agent string.
No H.264 support in youtube
- In order to watch 720p videos in youtube using HTML5, Gstreamer libav and Gstreamer plugins from the good set must be installed. To install execute the following command.
apt-get install gstreamer1.0-libav gstreamer1.0-plugins-good
Make sure about:config settings have media.peerconnection.video.h264_enabled set to true
After installing these codecs the HTML5 player must be requested on the youtube HTML5 website.
Alternative WebBrowsers under Debian
Debian Mozilla team - Packages for newer versions of Iceweasel