WIP move info to legacy section of Firefox page
remove section about iceweasel branding add-on, add-on removed
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 10:||Line 10:|
== How to get the Iceweasel branding on Firefox ==
Since Debian Stable has upgraded Firefox to it's quantum version this extension only works on Debian Jessie now.
The Mozilla add-on [[https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/iceweasel-branding/|“Iceweasel Branding”]] applies the Debian Iceweasel branding to Firefox.
Currently (as of 2016-04-11) there is no Debian package to install that add-on.
TODO: merge with legacy section of Firefox
The plugin directory is
while Debian-based xul-ext plugins can be found at
for more info on Iceweasel plugins, refer to the plugins section of the Mozilla page.
Iceweasel's User-Agent strings are currently:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:24.0) Gecko/20140429 Firefox/24.0 Iceweasel/24.5.0
Some websites will serve different content depending on this string, or prevent access. You can change the User-Agent string manually (about:config, general.useragent.override preference) or via the User Agent Switcher plugin.
By default, general.useragent.compatMode.firefox is set to true, which includes "Firefox" in the User-Agent string.
This is a resource where you can get the latest Iceweasel release which would eventually make it way into Debian's experimental, unstable and finally to testing and then stable. Usually the releases make their way to Debian unstable and then go downwards while the beta versions are released to experimental. Most of the aurora releases can be found at the mozilla.debian.net repo.
You can also connect with the Debian-mozilla maintainers via the mailing list as well as on IRC via #debian-mozilla on irc.oftc.net.
SSL / Secure Connection warning
Secure Connection Failed XXXX uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is not trusted because it is self signed. The certificate is only valid for 00:16:b6:82:73:60 (Error code: sec_error_untrusted_issuer)
Customizing the default profile
The files that are copied to ~/.mozilla/firefox/ when creating a new Iceweasel profile (when the browser is run the first time, or by using the -P command-line option) may be found in /etc/iceweasel/profile/. These files will populate the new profile with default settings, extensions and much more.
Iceweasel is consistently crashing on a website
- First run Iceweasel without loading any extensions or plugins and see if the problem persists. This can be done by using the -safe-mode option
MOZILLA_DISABLE_PLUGINS=1 iceweasel -safe-mode
- If the problem goes away, then it means that one of the installed extensions is the root cause of the problem. If not then read on!
- Create a new user and try to reproduce the problem on the new user's account.
- If there is no problem with Iceweasel on new user's account, chances are that your ~/.mozilla/firefox/ directory is corrupt.
- In order to see if the ~/.mozilla/firefox/ is infact corrupt or not, move it to some other directory and start Iceweasel again
mv ~/.mozilla/firefox/ ~/old_firefox iceweasel &
- If the problem goes away, well and good. Otherwise you can ask for help on debian-user mailing list by providing all the relevant information like "the way to reproduce the crash", "the version of Iceweasel you are using", and "the distribution you are using" etc., Finally, if you are confident that it is a bug in the Iceweasel package please consider filing a bug against the Iceweasel package.
Unsupported Browser Error
- In order to browse websites like mlsni.net which allows Firefox but not Iceweasel, you'll need to change the user agent string of your browser. Look at the section "User Agent String" on how to change the user agent string.
No H.264 support in youtube
- In order to watch 720p videos in youtube using HTML5, Gstreamer libav and Gstreamer plugins from the good set must be installed. To install execute the following command.
apt-get install gstreamer1.0-libav gstreamer1.0-plugins-good
Make sure about:config settings have media.peerconnection.video.h264_enabled set to true
After installing these codecs the HTML5 player must be requested on the youtube HTML5 website.
Alternative WebBrowsers under Debian
Debian Mozilla team - Packages for newer versions of Iceweasel