Updated, to 3.32, removed (gnomefiles.org is since some time not related to gnome) * [[http://www.gnomefiles.org]] Categorized list of GNOME programs.
Fix link 3.32 status (sorry for the noise), added buster line and renamed "old repos", no idea if oldoldoldstable is ok, so removed aka from wheezy
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 71:||Line 71:|
| * [[https://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.4-status.html]] Status of GNOME 3.4 in Debian (wheezy, AKA 'oldoldstable')
* [[https://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.14-status.html]] Status of GNOME 3.14 in Debian (jessie, AKA 'oldstable')
* [[https://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.22-status.html]] Status of GNOME 3.22 in Debian (stretch, current stable)
* [[https://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.32-status.html]] Status of GNOME 3.32 in Debian (testing/unstable)
| * [[https://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.4-status.html]] Status of GNOME 3.4 in Debian (wheezy)
* [[https://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.14-status.html]] Status of GNOME 3.14 in Debian (jessie, AKA 'oldoldstable')
* [[https://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.22-status.html]] Status of GNOME 3.22 in Debian (stretch, AKA 'oldstable')
* [[https://people.debian.org/~fpeters/debian-gnome-3.30-status.html]] Status of GNOME 3.30 in Debian (buster, current stable)
* [[https://people.debian.org/~fpeters/debian-gnome-3.32-status.html]] Status of GNOME 3.32 in Debian (testing/unstable/experimental)
What is GNOME?
The GNOME Desktop is an attractive and useful desktop environment. GNOME is both free and one of the most widely used desktop environments on the GNU/Linux operating system.
GNOME in Debian
DebianSqueeze includes GNOME 2.30.
DebianWheezy includes GNOME 3.4.
DebianJessie includes GNOME 3.14.
DebianStretch includes GNOME 3.22.
There are four options to install GNOME in Debian:
How to install
GNOME desktop task
tasksel see below
Debian's selection of applications
The full GNOME environment, including applications that are not officially part of the Upstream GNOME releases.
GNOME (core only)
Only the official “core” modules of the GNOME desktop. Above packages depend on this one.
Watch out recommended packages (i.e. packages dependencies) !
(you might or might not want to install them).
gnome-core-devel - The development packages to compile GNOME dependent packages from source.
gnome-devel - A full development suite for developing GNOME-based applications.
gnome-api-docs - The complete API documentation for all GNOME libraries
gnome-dbg - All available debugging symbols for GNOME packages
Installing "GNOME Desktop" task
The GNOME Desktop task is what is installed by Debian-Installer's Desktop "task" (unless you picked another DesktopEnvironment!).
You can install it manually using apt:
# apt-get install task-gnome-desktop
Most configuration of the GNOME desktop is done via its various GUI utilities. The location of these varies depending on version, but common utilities include networking, themes, sounds and much more. It is also possible to configure (read/write) settings using the command line with gconftool(2) or gsettings(1).
https://www.gnome.org The GNOME Website
https://www.gnome.org/news/ GNOME News
https://extensions.gnome.org/ GNOME Extensions
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps GNOME Applications
About GNOME for Debian:
Teams/DebianGnome Debian GNOME Packaging
https://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.4-status.html Status of GNOME 3.4 in Debian (wheezy)
https://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.14-status.html Status of GNOME 3.14 in Debian (jessie, AKA 'oldoldstable')
https://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.22-status.html Status of GNOME 3.22 in Debian (stretch, AKA 'oldstable')
https://people.debian.org/~fpeters/debian-gnome-3.30-status.html Status of GNOME 3.30 in Debian (buster, current stable)
https://people.debian.org/~fpeters/debian-gnome-3.32-status.html Status of GNOME 3.32 in Debian (testing/unstable/experimental)
https://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/ Debian / GNOME Mailing list