move here Zombie Maintainer. If you think it's necessary, delete it
reformating 'root' entry with a numbered list
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 11:||Line 11:|
|Line 81:||Line 81:|
|root :: 1. the root user (uid 0), often named ''Super-User'' can do anything on a system (equivalent to "Administrator" on some systems). ''(see ["Root"])'' 2. the ["root directory"] is the top level directory "/". 3. root's directory "/root" is the root user's home directory.|| root ::
1. the root user (uid 0), often named ''Super-User'' can do anything on a system (equivalent to "Administrator" on some systems). ''(see ["Root"])''
1. the ["root directory"] is the top level directory "/".
1. root's directory "/root" is the root user's home directory.
Debian Glossary Only.
If you don't find the entry you wanted, visit [http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Dictionary/html/index.html tldp.org]'s Linux-Dictionary, [http://www.wikipedia.org wikipedia.org], [http://www.jargondb.org/ jargondb.org] computer jargon, [http://en.wiktionary.org/ wiktionary.org], etc. ?BR(You can add an entry. Put ToDo instead of definition if you can't write I yourself)
Jump to : [:Glossary#0:0] - [:Glossary#A:A] [:Glossary#B:B] [:Glossary#C:C] [:Glossary#D:D] [:Glossary#E:E] [:Glossary#F:F] [:Glossary#G:G] [:Glossary#H:H] [:Glossary#I:I] [:Glossary#J:J] [:Glossary#K:K] [:Glossary#L:L] [:Glossary#M:M] [:Glossary#N:N] [:Glossary#P:P] [:Glossary#Q:Q] [:Glossary#R:R] [:Glossary#S:S] [:Glossary#T:T] [:Glossary#U:U] [:Glossary#V:V] [:Glossary#W:W] [:Glossary#X:X] [:Glossary#Y:Y] [:Glossary#Z:Z] Symbols : [:Glossary#Dot:.(dot)]
- 0 : uid 0, see also [#root root]
A system for synchronising bug status in the Debian BTS with upstream bug tracking systems like Bugzilla. See [http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/05/msg00001.html this mail].
- see [#Debian-Installer]
Debian Installer is the set of program used to install Debian on your hard disk "The first day". It is not the program you use to install (add|remove) more program (packages) once Debian Installed (see [#Apt]).
- Micro Kernel
A Micro Kernel is a minimalistic operating system kernel which provides only the most basic services, which generally include tasks, virtual memory policy, Inter Process Communication and basic hardware drivers. Examples of micro kernels are Mach (and GNUMach, OSKit-Mach) and L4. (sea also Wikipedia Micro_kernel )
- Multi Server
Multi server refers to a system which has several servers working together running on a [:#MicroKernel:MicroKernel] to perform the tasks normally done by a monolithic kernel; this is in contrast to a single server which is akin to a monolithic kernel running on a micro kernel.
the root user (uid 0), often named Super-User can do anything on a system (equivalent to "Administrator" on some systems). (see ["Root"])
- the ["root directory"] is the top level directory "/".
- root's directory "/root" is the root user's home directory.
- Zombie Maintainer
- A zombie maintainer is a maintainer who does no work on a package but refuses to orphan it. The package bit-rots away in the clutches of his undead hands as he drifts on the margins of existence. His grumblings are occasionally heard on Debian mailing lists --- just enough to keep himself from being pronounced ["MIA"], which would be grounds for deeming the package orphaned. Not much is known about these beings; however, experts in paranormal phenomena claim that once a maintainer has become a zombie he cannot let a package go until his work on it is done. However, having lost his spirit, the zombie is incapable of making any progress. The predictable result is that the package becomes a Slum. What is certain is that there is a subclass of zombies whom we shall call "guardians". A guardian zombie holds on to a package while justifying himself by saying that he is doing Debian the service of protecting his package from damage in the hands of a mortal maintainer. A guardian zombie may go so far as to invite ["NMUs"], some of which he will allow to pass without comment, to others of which he will react with howls of protest and mutterings of 'my precious'.
- File-extension used for package of debian-based distribution.
File-extension used for package containing [#Debian-Installer] modules. do not install it in a regular system.