The goal of this page is to seek people who are interested to improve the state of games on Debian. As the debian-games mailing list doesn't exist anymore, people might now gather here.
- the ["ParaGUI"] package is at 1.0
However many games use 1.1, so a package with the new API should be created and the old one phased out (see #316335). Both ["ParaGUI"] and SDL need updated m4 macros (basically the underquoting issues), I think that both have been fixed upstream already.
- the GGZ packages are vastly outdated
A jump from 0.0.7 to 0.0.11 would help especially game developers whose games conditionally depend on GGZ libraries.
- Pygame needs an update
First, it should be recompiled with Python 2.4 to produce the python2.4-pygame packages (ubuntu already did this). Second, the version 1.7 should be included, although this seems to be less of a priority.
- debian-devel-games revival
Either this list or renamed as debian-games should be (re)created. As opposed to the previous attempt which lasted until 2002, it should not allow posts by non-subscribers due to the post/spam ratio.
- more gamer-friendly setup
Probably using debtags, a way to install cool games without looking at everything in the 'games' category which includes fortunes, bb etc. (which is cool also but maybe inappropriate ;)
- improved init integration: players often want to start game servers temporarily; some games have a GUI option but an init.d frontend with parameters to allow non-root start/stop (i.e. not using ''var''...) would be desired.