Worklist for Game-Data-Packager
This is arranged in an approximate difficulty order: items nearest the top are the easiest ones. Please feel free to open discussions about this on the debian-devel-games list.
play the games
- just play the games, or let your 'Q.A. team' (=children/friends) do it, notice what doesn't work as expected and file bugs against GDP or the various game engines
translate G-D-P homepage in your language. Please, don't translate this page.
- explain the advantages listed there to your own little community
keep-up-to date the list of games at GOG.com & Steam. Make the individual game description something more interresting that "works with ScummVM".
draw or locate some DFSG-compliant icons
- the package generated by GDP that provides .desktop files also needs icons, e.g.: wads for doom-like engines, ScummVM games
- the single-game engines, like Tyrian, ROTT doesn't need extra icons
adding new games
have a look at adding_a_game.mdwn & the existing .yaml files to see how it works
- please start with the English version for consistency
game-data-packager make-template will automate a lot of work; it can also directly process setup_...exe files provided by GOG.com
each individual requested game should have it's own bug Nr, with attributes wishlist & newcomer. Adding a new game is quite trivial, as long as no changes are needed to the python module.
adding demo versions to existing game
- check first that the demo actually work with the engine !
- check that the demo is not just a dumb "non-interactive" slideshow, but at least provides some of the full game functionality
the demo will likely share similar file names, you must rename the files in size_and_md5 appropriately: make && make check will tell you which files were defined twice with different size/md5.
- use install_as: instructions in files: dict for all rename files
adding translations to existing game
- like for the demos, you'll have to check one-by-one that files got dubbed or not
- all languages are welcome, not only the ones that some online seller found interesting to sell
- test the new python/yaml engine extensively
- add a testsuite that builds everything available
- check for regressions
Add a nice GUI
should likely uses Python-GI, as already used by the Master Levels for Doom II launcher provided by GDP
- find a way to integrate seamlessly in populare graphical package mananager like Muon (KDE) or Synaptic (Gnome)
Hurt me plenty
reverse engineer patch.exe & patch.rtp (RTPatch by Pocket Soft)
- reverse engineer Wise installer used by RTCW (several bits of code are floating around the web, some in Pascal)
- port G-D-P to some other distribution