link to glest page
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 11:||Line 11:|
|* Discussion of how to DFSG might be interpreted regarding multimedia contents and artwork in games.||* Discussion of how the DFSG might be interpreted regarding multimedia contents and artwork in games.|
|Line 50:||Line 50:|
|* For SVN activity and more details [http://cia.vc/stats/project/debian-pkg-games CIA is watching us].|
The purpose of the Debian Games Team is to coordinate, share common problems and solutions and even in some cases be able to maintain games collaboratively. There is a [http://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-games/ project in Alioth] and the irc channel #debian-games on irc.debian.org created for that purpose.
The coordination of this project happens on the [http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/ debian-devel-games] mailing list. There are also two additional lists: [http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-games-devel/ pkg-games-devel] ([http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/pkg-games-devel subscribe]), which is used for bug reports, and [http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-games-commits/ pkg-games-commits] ([http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/pkg-games-commits subscribe]) to track changes made to the subversion repository.
The main goals of the project are:
- Maintaining games collaboratively, as they tend to share many points in common.
- "Scale economy" benefits: maintaining more packages, quicker an with less effort.
- Open a way towards a larger involvement in Debian project to people maintaining just one or few games.
- Quick-fixing of security issues common to games.
- Discussion of problems and facts relative to game packaging.
- Discussion of how the DFSG might be interpreted regarding multimedia contents and artwork in games.
- Identify important games that are not packaged yet and package them.
- Identify games that we were only maintaining out of inertia, and consider dropping them.
- Make it easier for users to know the games available in Debian, maybe with some game selector interface, a web page, screenshots or whatever.
- Collaborative maintenance of common infrastructure libs, like SDL.
- Collaborative initial packaging of huge new games, like GPLed Nexuiz first-person shooter.
- Handling licensing problems relative to games. Maybe even replacing non-free bits with DFSG-free content.
Design [http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2006/04/msg00015.html a logo and/or a website for the project] or [http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2006/06/msg00027.html merge] the [http://pkg-games.alioth.debian.org/debian-games-p0.png two] proposed [http://pkg-games.alioth.debian.org/proposed-logo.png logos].
- Create/replace non-free media contents with free contents in non-free packages or for games not yet in Debian. (There was a thread related to a big collection of those media, somebody please link to it.)
- Evaluate and eventually package one of the ["Games/Suggested"].
Fix [http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=maint&data=pkg-games-devel%40lists.alioth.debian.org&archive=no&repeatmerged=no&version=&dist=unstable&pend-inc=pending&pend-exc=pending-fixed&pend-exc=fixed&pend-exc=done&sev-inc=critical&sev-inc=grave&sev-inc=serious&sev-inc=important&sev-inc=normal&sev-inc=minor&sev-inc=wishlist&sev-exc=fixed&include=help&include=moreinfo&include=patch&exclude=fixed&exclude=fixed-in-experimental&exclude=fixed-upstream open bugs] which are present in Debian Games Team's packages.
Go through game related [http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/ WNPP] evaluating RFPs and ITPs.
Help with [http://tiber.tauware.de/~lucas/versions/games.html utnubu-tization] and backport changes into sid.
- Fix issues seen by our ["Games/Autobuilder"].
- look at packages from other distros and see if they have any supplemental patches
SuSE packages [http://software.opensuse.org/download/games:/ here]
- Sponsor non-Debian developers who have placed [wiki:Games/Sponsors/Queue upload requests]. Please visit ["Games/Sponsors"] for further information about the process.
- In ["Games/SVN"] is a quick reference for working with the pkg-games subversion repository.
- In ["Games/Suggested"] we maintain a list of games that seem suitable for packaging.
- In ["Games/Unsuitable"] we list games that we cannot package for Debian main currently.
- In ["Games/WNPP"] we maintain a list of orphaned, soon-to-be-packaged or requested games.
- For instructions on building udeb packages (for the installer), see ["BuildingUDebs"].
- For details of Jon's master plan for doom packages, see ["Games/Doom"]
For SVN activity and more details [http://cia.vc/stats/project/debian-pkg-games CIA is watching us].
- Internal projects:
[http://pkg-games.alioth.debian.org/doom-packaging/ Doom packaging policy] (also the [http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-games/packages/doom-packaging/?rev=0&sc=0 development verion] is avilable)
Most of our game packages should be in [wiki:Games/SVN our subversion repository], but some of them might not be yet there. The list below is certainly outdated. The DFSG free games are located [http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-games/packages/trunk/?rev=0&sc=0 under packages/trunk].
- ["Games/Oolite"] (dual licensed GPL/by-nc-sa 2.0)
In ["Games/Links"] you can find links to web pages and blogs that can be useful in following the state of the art in Linux Games and in Free Games in general.