updated mailing lists
ProspectiveGamesInDebian -> Games/Suggested
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 19:||Line 19:|
|== Get Involved ==
* Design [http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2006/04/msg00017.html a logo and/or a website for the project].
* Go through game related [http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/ WNPP] evaluating RFPs and ITPs.
* Evaluate and eventually package one of the ["Games/Suggested"].
* Sponsor non-Debian developers who are packaging games.
|Line 22:||Line 30:|
|* In ["ProspectiveGamesInDebian"] we maintain a list of games that seem suitable for packaging||* In ["Games/Suggested"] we maintain a list of games that seem suitable for packaging|
The purpose of the Debian Games Team is to coordinate, share common problems and solutions and even in some cases be able to maintain games collaboratively. There is a [http://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-games/ project in Alioth] created for that purpose.
The coordination of this project happens on the [http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/ debian-devel-games] mailing list. There are also two additional lists: [http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-games-devel/ pkg-games-devel] ([http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/pkg-games-devel subscribe]), which is used for bug reports, and [http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-games-commits/ pkg-games-commits] ([http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/pkg-games-commits subscribe]) to track changes made to the subversion repository.
The main goals of the project are:
- Maintaining games collaboratively, as they tend to share many points in common.
- "Scale economy" benefits: maintaining more packages, quicker an with less effort.
- Open a way towards a larger involvement in Debian project to people maintaining just one or few games.
- Quick-fixing of security issues common to games.
- Discussion of problems and facts relative to game packaging.
- Discussion of how to DFSG might be interpreted regarding multimedia contents and artwork in games.
- Identify important games that are not packaged yet and package them.
- Identify games that we were only maintainig out of inertia, and consider dropping them
- Make it easier for users to know the games available in Debian, maybe with some game selector interface, a web page, screenshots or whatever.
- Collaborative maintenance of common infrastructure libs, like SDL.
- Collaborative initial packaging of huge new games, like GPLed Nexuiz first-person shooter.
- Handling licensing problems relative to games. Maybe even replacing non-free bits with DFSG-free content.
Design [http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2006/04/msg00017.html a logo and/or a website for the project].
Go through game related [http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/ WNPP] evaluating RFPs and ITPs.
- Evaluate and eventually package one of the ["Games/Suggested"].
- Sponsor non-Debian developers who are packaging games.
- In ["Games/SVN"] is a quick reference for working with the pkg-games subversion repository
- In ["Games/Suggested"] we maintain a list of games that seem suitable for packaging
In ["?QualityGamesUnsuitableForDebian"] we list games that we cannot package for Debian main currently.
- In ["Games/WNPP"] we maintain a list of orphaned, soon-to-be-packaged or requested games.
- For instructions on building udeb packages (for the installer), see ["BuildingUDebs"].