Added freedoom page
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 25:||Line 25:|
The purpose of the Debian Games Team is to coordinate, share common problems and solutions and even in some cases be able to maintain games collaboratively. There is a [http://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-games/ project in Alioth] created for that, and also a [http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/pkg-games-devel mailing list] for coordination.
The main goals of the project are:
- Maintaining games collaboratively, as they tend to share many points in common.
- "Scale economy" benefits: maintaining more packages, quicker an with less effort.
- Open a way towards a larger involvement in Debian project to people maintaining just one or few games.
- Quick-fixing of security issues common to games.
- Discussion of problems and facts relative to game packaging.
- Discussion of how to DFSG might be interpreted regarding multimedia contents and artwork in games.
- Identify important games that are not packaged yet and package them.
- Identify games that we were only maintainig out of inertia, and consider dropping them
- Make it easier for users to know the games available in Debian, maybe with some game selector interface, a web page, screenshots or whatever.
- Collaborative maintenance of common infrastructure libs, like SDL.
- Collaborative initial packaging of huge new games, like GPLed Nexuiz first-person shooter.
- Handling licensing problems relative to games. Maybe even replacing non-free bits with DFSG-free content.
- In ["Games/SVN"] is a quick reference for working with the pkg-games subversion repository
In ["?ProspectiveGamesInDebian"] we maintain a list of games that seem suitable for packaging
In ["?QualityGamesUnsuitableForDebian"] we list games that we cannot package for Debian main currently.