See [#notice this notice] for info about wiki.debian.net to wiki.debian.org migration
Contents of Debian Wiki
This wiki is a support and documentation resource for the Debian project. This entire wiki is under 'heavy' development. (i.e. it is far from finished).
If you are looking for something in particular try FindPage. It is a list of serching methods and facilities you can use over this Wiki.
Introduction and Resources
["DebianIntroduction"] - What is Debian? Where can I find Debian?
["DebianResources"] - A set of external resources for Debian
["?DebianKnowledgeBase"] - A list of plces for getting help and the way they work
["WhyDebian"] - Why choose Debian over another Unix/Linux?
["MeetDebian"] - Meet Debian on conferences and expos
["DebianReleases"] - How Debian Releases work.
["DebianInstall"] - So, you want to install Debian? Read this Guide!
["DebianNetworkInstall"] - How to install Debian over a network such as the internet.
["FromWindowsToDebian"] - Want to move to Debian from Windows? This guide is for you!
Updates, Applications and Packages
Apt (and Dpkg) is one of the core tool sets in Debian. Simply, these tools allow you to install applications, remove applications and keep Debian up to date!
- ["Introduction to Apt and Dpkg"] - An introduction to Apt and Dpkg, the ["package"] tools on Debian.
- ["AptCLI"] - How to use the command line Apt-tools to install packages, remove packages, and update your system.
["AptTools"] - Many other useful tools relating to package management.
- ["Aptitude"] - Terminal-based apt frontend.
- ["Synaptic"] - Synaptic - the Graphical/["GUI"] Package Manager for Debian.
The Desktop and Workstation
- ["X-Window-System"] - The X Window System.
["?DesktopEnvironments"] - Desktop Systems for X:
["DebianGnome"] - GNOME under Debian.
- ["DebianXFCE"] - XFCE under Debian.
- ["DebianKDE"] - KDE under Debian.
- ["DebianGNUstep"] - GNUstep under Debian.
["?WindowManagers"] - Windows Managers for X:
["DebianFluxbox"] - Fluxbox under Debian.
- Recommended Applications:
["RemoteFiles"] - Remote File clients - FTP, SFTP, etc.
["Peer2Peer"] - Peer to Peer Clients.
["InstantMessaging"] - Instant Messaging Clients.
["?MediaPlayers"] - Media Players (Audio+Video).
["MultimediaCodecs"] - Installing multimedia codecs.
- ["Java"] - Java and Debian.
- ["Eclipse"] - Eclipse and Debian.
- ["PDFViewers"] - For viewing PDF files.
- ["CDDVD"] - CD and DVD Applications.
- ["Compression"] - Dealing with compressed archives.
- ["EditorsIDEs"] - Editors and IDE's (Interated Development Environments).
["?OfficeAuthoring"] - Office and Authoring Applications.
- ["RSS"]- News feeder.
["?SystemConfig"] - ["GUI"] tools for Configuring your Debian System.
- ["Misc"] - Lots of other misc applications that you might want!
["RemoteDesktop"] - How to set up remote desktop servers.
["?WindowsFileServer"] - How to configure and setup a windows file server.
- ["SSHServer"] - How to setup and run an SSH Server (which also acts as a fileserver).
- ["DHCPServer"] - DHCP Servers.
["DatabaseServers"] - Database Servers.
["WebServers"] - Web Servers in Debian.
- ["FTPServers"] - FTP Servers in Debian.
- ["LDAP"] - Anything and everything to do with LDAP.
The Command Line
["BootProcess"] - How your system boots, and how to configure booting.
["LinuxKernel"] - Lots of resources for the Linux Kernel.
["?FileSystemDisks"] - A guide to filesystems and disks in Debian.
- ["ConfigureX"] - How to configure the X-Window-System:
- ["Printing"] - Printing in Debian.
["?DebianSound"] - Getting Sound working in Debian.
["NetworkConfiguration"] - How to configure your network in Debian.
["USB"] - USB devices and boot Debian from a USB pendrive ["BootUsb"].
- ["Security"] - Securing your System.
["BackupAndRecovery"] - Backup and Recovery of data in Debian.
["WhereIsIt"] - A guide to finding almost anything in Debian.
["?ServerHardware"] - Known server hardware that works excellent with Debian.
- ["Embedded Debian"] - Tools to build Debian for smaller devices.
This part of the wiki is for Debian Developers (and users too!)
["ReverseDepends"] - How to find full reverse depends on a package.
["OngoingTransitions"] - Information about current package transitions in Debian.
About Debian Wiki
This website is a Wiki. A Wiki is a collaborative site, anyone can contribute and share.
How to edit this Wiki
You can start from WikiSandBox, feel free to change this page and experiment with editing
Edit any page by pressing ?GetText(Edit) at the top or the bottom of the page
Create a link to another page with joined capitalized words (like WikiSandBox) or with ["quoted words in brackets"]
See HelpForBeginners to get you going
HelpContents for all help pages.
?SyntaxReference for quick access to wiki syntax
How to surf this wiki
- Search for page titles or text within pages using the search box at the top of any page
Go to FindPage for more seraching.
Go to ?SiteNavigation for even more searching.
Go to RecentChanges to see where people are currently working
Discussion & Chat
It is very important to discuss about problems and ideas that concern this wiki. The root page for discussions is ?DiscussionsStarter.
Notice about migration of this wiki
This wiki is a new, official [http://www.debian.org Debian] resource, based on MoinMoinWiki. The contents of the now discontinued wiki.debian.net by MichaelIvey are now all converted (MigrationStatus) over to this wiki. Thank you all very much for your patience, and thanks for MichaelIvey for maintaining the previous wiki for so long. --["Jeroen"]
Please note that due to the conversion, a lot of content might not (yet) be easily findable, but it still exists. Use the search function before starting a new page!
?DotNetFrontPage is the last wiki.debian.net homepage, containing links to various migrated parts of this wiki. Its contents should be included in this FrontPage!