This wiki is a new, official [http://www.debian.org Debian] resource. The contents of the now discontinued wiki.debian.net by MichaelIvey are now all converted (MigrationStatus) over to this wiki. Thank you all very much for your patience, and thanks for MichaelIvey for maintaining the previous wiki for so long. --["Jeroen"]
Please note that due to this, a lot of content might not be easily findeable, but still exist. Use the search function before starting a new page!
?DotNetFrontPage is the last wiki.debian.net homepage, containing links to various migrated parts of this wiki. Its contents should be included in this FrontPage!
This wiki is a support and documentation resource for the Debian project. This entire wiki is under 'heavy' development. (i.e. it is far from finished).
Introduction and Resources
["DebianIntroduction"] - What is Debian? Where can I find Debian?
["DebianResources"] - A set of external resources for Debian
["WhyDebian"] - Why choose Debian over another Unix/Linux?
["MeetDebian"] - Meet Debian on conferences and expos
["DebianReleases"] - How Debian Releases Work
["DebianInstall"] - So, you want to install Debian? Read this Guide
["DebianNetworkInstall"] - How to install Debian over a network such as the internet
["FromWindowsToDebian"] - Want to move to Debian from Windows? This guide is for you!
Updates, Applications and Packages
Apt (and Dpkg) is one of the core tool sets in Debian. Simply, these tools allow you to install applications, remove applications and keep Debian up to date!
- ["Introduction to Apt and Dpkg"] - An introduction to Apt and Dpkg, the package tools on Debian
- ["AptCLI"] - How to use the command line Apt-tools to install packages, remove packages, and update your system
["AptTools"] - Many other useful tools relating to package management
- ["Synaptic"] - Synaptic - the Graphical/GUI Package Manager for Debian
The Desktop and Workstation
- ["X-Window-System"] - The X Window System
["?DesktopEnvironments"] - Desktop Systems for X
- ["DebianGNOME"] - GNOME under Debian
- ["DebianXFCE"] - XFCE under Debian
- ["DebianKDE"] - KDE under Debian
- ["DebianGNUstep"] - GNUstep under Debian
["?WindowManagers"] - Windows Managers for X
["DebianFluxbox"] - Fluxbox under Debian
- Recommended Applications
["WebBrowsers"] - Web Browsers
["EmailClients"] - E-Mail Clients
["RemoteFiles"] - Remote File clients - FTP, SFTP, etc.
["Peer2Peer"] - Peer to Peer Clients
["InstantMessaging"] - Instant Messaging Clients
["?MediaPlayers"] - Media Players (Audio+Video)
["MultimediaCodecs"] - Installing multimedia codecs
- ["Java"] - Java and Debian
- ["PDFViewers"] - For viewing PDF files
- ["CDDVD"] - CD and DVD Applications
- ["Compression"] - Dealing with compressed archives
- ["EditorsIDEs"] - Editors and IDE's (Interated Development Environments)
["?OfficeAuthoring"] - Office and Authoring Applications
["?SystemConfig"] - GUI tools for Configuring your Debian System
- ["Misc"] - Lots of other misc applications that you might want!
["RemoteDesktop"] - How to set up remote desktop servers
["?WindowsFileServer"] - How to configure and setup a windows file server
- ["SSHServer"] - How to setup and run an SSH Server (which also acts as a fileserver)
- ["DHCPServer"] - DHCP Servers
["DatabaseServers"] - Database Servers
["WebServers"] - Web Servers in Debian
- ["FTPServers"] - FTP Servers in Debian
- ["LDAP"] - Anything and everything to do with LDAP
The Command Line
- ["Security"] - Securing your System
["?FileSystemDisks"] - A guide to filesystems and disks in Debian
["BackupAndRecovery"] - Backup and Recovery of data in Debian
- ["Printing"] - Printing in Debian
["LinuxKernel"] - Lots of resources for the Linux Kernel
["BootProcess"] - How your system boots, and how to configure booting
["NetworkConfiguration"] - How to configure your network in Debian!
- ["ConfigureX"] - How to configure the X-Window-System
["?DebianSound"] - Getting Sound working in Debian
- ["Email"] - A guide to all things E-Mail in Debian
["WhereIsIt"] - a guide to finding almost anything in Debian
This part of the wiki is for Debian Developers (and users too!)
This website is a Wiki. A Wiki is a collaborative site, anyone can contribute and share:
Edit any page by pressing ?GetText(Edit) at the top or the bottom of the page
Create a link to another page with joined capitalized words (like WikiSandBox) or with ["quoted words in brackets"]
- Search for page titles or text within pages using the search box at the top of any page
Interesting starting points:
RecentChanges: see where people are currently working
WikiSandBox: feel free to change this page and experiment with editing
FindPage: search or browse the database in various ways
?SyntaxReference: quick access to wiki syntax
?SiteNavigation: get an overview over this site and what it contains