A Fedora 9 system and a Moblin system were used for demonstration.
This page is dedicated to give instructions how to port and implement the used techniques on a Debian GNU/Linux system.
There are already some other pages available in this Wiki dealing with shortening the booting time. In the end the results of this page, which are not suitable implementing in a standard Debian installation should be incorporated there or be linked from there.
It is thought about to set up a dedicated list for this task on for example Alioth. If someone wants to go ahead please do.
Different means were used in the talk, which can be seen on the slides, and time limits were set for each component.
- Splash Screens
- Kernel (1 second)
- Early Userspace (1 second)
- X.org (1 second)
- Desktop/GUI (2 seconds)
Debian does not use any, so nothing to do here.
Use of sReadAhead.
Use of sysvinit. That is the standard in all Debian releases until now.
- Use a new version of HAL, where some algorithms were optimized.
- Let Linux kernel setup the video hardware.
- Reuse keyboard mappings.
- Do not use GDM. Or just use the simple theme.
- Boot directly into a user session. (How-To in the Wiki?)