|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 25:||Line 25:|
|** Options would be SPI, FFIS, SLX-Debian-Labs, etc||* Options would be SPI, FFIS, SLX-Debian-Labs, etc|
An Idea For Debian Funding From The Community
Why do we need more Money?
In order to be able to afford more developer gatherings (50 per year seems a conservative estimate (world-wide and incl. sub-projects)) Debian needs more money. One can calculate with about 2000-5000USD/€ per developer gathering, which would result in an overall sum of up to 250kUSD/€.
How would this work?
This could work much like the [http://club.mandriva.com Mandriva Club], which "sells" a lifestyle feeling of coolness and l33tness for supporting Mandriva. (As far as i know it was the [http://club.mandriva.com Mandriva Club] that saved Mandrake from bankrupcy and made it profitable again, so there is a lot of potential in this concept.)
So the point is to emphasize lifestyle feeling and other activities that we want to encourage (like helping newbies, fixing/reporting bugs, keysigning and last but not least donating money)
How could it work for Debian?
- it should look and feel cool and professional
it could use another name like "Friends Of Debian" to not remind too much of the [http://club.mandriva.com Mandriva Club] and perhaps emphasise community
- it could have a Debian-Orkut, to emphasize community and attract people
- it could encourage key signing within the community and real life meetings to strengthen the community
- members could donate money to Debian and receive coolness points in exchange
- members could receive trustweb points for signatures on their gpg key
- members could form sub-communities within the Debian-Orcut and receive community points for beeing active within that community and for helping people in the support forums
- one person would have three categories of points (coolness for money, trustweb for signatures, community for activity) which would make up the overall rating of that person
- members could purchase Debian releases (on DVD) or Debian merchandise for reduced cost
Things to sort out
- Where would the money go?
- Options would be SPI, FFIS, SLX-Debian-Labs, etc
- SPI would need to get either an accountant or other means to rapidly process money every week (since 50 gatherings per year translate to one per week, with up to 20-30 reimbursements each)
Merchandise could be handled and sold by e.g. LinuxNewMedia, which is somewhat international and has subsideries everywhere where there are bigger clusters of Debian users (Japan seems to be missing).